Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

First Stage, Game 3

Discussion in the NPB News forum
First Stage, Game 3
It's a wet and dreary day here in the Kanto region today, but the rubber match of the best of three First Stage Pacific League playoff series is this afternoon starting at 1:00 PM JST (8:00 PM PST, 10:00 PM CST, 11:00 PM EST +- an hour for daylight savings time). I'll be bringing it to you live here at that time. Hope you can join me.
Comments
Re: First Stage, Game 3
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 3, 2004 12:50 PM | YBS Fan ]

Note: You can only login while the room is available, shortly before game time to shortly after the game ends (depending on the level of post game conversation). If you get an error stating that no chat rooms are available, it's because you're too early or too late.

I hope this doesn't cause too many problems.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 3, 2004 6:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

Wow! Was this an exciting game or what? What? You weren't there? Well, read on. This was far and away the most exciting game of the series. And it ended in the most dramatic of fassions. This transcript should keep you tottering at the edge of your seat!

TRANSCRIPT generated on 2004/10/03 17:56
CHATROOM Pacific League Playoffs/First Stage, Game 3
MODERATORS westbaystars

13:00 westbaystars: ---
13:00 westbaystars: Top of First
13:00 westbaystars: ---
13:00 westbaystars: Rookie Hoashi starts this afternoon for the Seibu Lions.
13:00 westbaystars: Shinjo is announced at leading off for Nippon Ham.
13:01 westbaystars: He steps in.
13:01 westbaystars: Hoashi's first pitch is lifted to the right side.
13:01 westbaystars: Takagi calls it, and makes the catch for the first out of the game.
13:02 westbaystars: Narahara bats second today, his first start of the Series.
13:03 westbaystars: The right handed batter grounds the ball through the right side of the infield and into right. Base hit.
13:03 westbaystars: The Fighters have a runner on for team captain Ogasawara.
13:04 westbaystars: Ogasawara, behind in the count two strikes and no balls, grounds Hoashi's third offering to third.
13:05 westbaystars: Fernandez, playing more toward short, just gets a glove on the ball hit the other way near the third base line.
13:05 westbaystars: The ball gets away from him, and by the time he recovers, he's unable to get Ogasawara speeding up the first base line.
13:06 westbaystars: Runners at first and second, one out.
13:06 westbaystars: Number four batting Seguignol comes up.
13:06 westbaystars: He hits it hard to left, no doubt about this one.
13:07 westbaystars: It's into the Fighters' fans in left!
13:07 westbaystars: Sensei three run home run!
13:07 westbaystars: Obando follows.
13:08 westbaystars: The guest Lion on the pre-game show said that Obando would be the key batter the Lions were going to face.
13:08 westbaystars: Looks like he missed the key by one.
13:10 westbaystars: Obando grounds the ball through the right side, Cabrera moving to cover the bag when he might have had a chance at it.
13:10 westbaystars: Base hit.
13:11 westbaystars: Rookie Hoashi has only managed one out so far, Shinjo's first pitch pop out.
13:11 westbaystars: Takahashi comes up with a runner at first and one out.
13:12 westbaystars: Takahashi lifts the ball to center. Akada has it, and Obando returns to first.
13:13 westbaystars: Next up is Shimada.
13:13 westbaystars: He seems to be OK after that collision yesterday, pulling him from the game a little early.
13:15 westbaystars: Shimada lines the ball up the first base line.
13:15 westbaystars: It bounces in, but just foul.
13:15 westbaystars: Welcome back, Basebill-san.
13:16 westbaystars: Is it 10:15 there, or 11:15?
13:16 basebill: thank you, fell asleep in front of the PC last night!
13:16 basebill: 12:15 am
13:16 westbaystars: Tough staying up that late and looking at a monitor.
13:17 westbaystars: I understand.
13:17 westbaystars: Shimada fouls off a number of pitches and works the count full.
13:17 westbaystars: Hoashi's 10th pitch to Shimada is swung on and missed, strike three.
13:17 westbaystars: That retires the side.
13:17 basebill: i had been up since 5 am just couldn't do it
13:18 westbaystars: But not before Seguignol shows why he was the Pacific League Home Run King (shared with Matsunaka).
13:18 westbaystars: A big three run home run puts Nippon Ham up 3-0 after half an inning.
13:18 westbaystars: ---
13:18 westbaystars: Bottom of First
13:18 westbaystars: ---
13:19 basebill: Seguignol really crushed that ball
13:19 westbaystars: I didn't see it, but is sounded that way on the radio.
13:20 westbaystars: I think it's on TV starting at 2:00.
13:20 westbaystars: On the mound for the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters is former Tiger Ejiri.
13:20 basebill: I caught the replay and it was a no-doubter, it was in the seats before he even headed to first
13:21 westbaystars: I think he was. I need to look that up.
13:21 westbaystars: His first pitch is taken for ball one by Satoh.
13:21 westbaystars: Satoh grounds the ball to short.
13:21 westbaystars: Kaneko takes a step to his right, fields the ball, fires to first,
13:22 westbaystars: and we have the first out.
13:22 westbaystars: Akada comes up next.
13:22 westbaystars: Akada grounds the ball to second.
13:23 westbaystars: Narahara fields the ball, throws to first, and we have two quick outs.
13:23 westbaystars: Next up is Fernandez.
13:23 westbaystars: Hi, Allen-san. Where are you joining us from?
13:24 westbaystars: My mistake on Ejiri's origins. He was drafted by the Fighters in 2002.
13:25 Allen: Hi Westbay-san and Basebill-san. Coming in from Southern California
13:25 westbaystars: Ejiri walks Fernandez.
13:25 westbaystars: The Lions get a two out base runner for slugger Cabrera.
13:26 basebill: looks like another packed house at Seibudome
13:27 westbaystars: At least the've got a roof over them now. It's a very wet day out there today.
13:27 westbaystars: I wonder if the fans along the fense are getting wet.
13:28 westbaystars: The outer fense of the stands, that is.
13:28 westbaystars: Cabrera walks on five pitches.
13:28 westbaystars: Ejiri is being too cautious with the Lions' big hitters.
13:28 westbaystars: Wada comes up with a chance to tie the game.
13:29 westbaystars: But he grounds the ball to Narahara at second.
13:29 westbaystars: The throw to first, and it's an easy out.
13:29 westbaystars: The Lions threatened, but failed to come through.
13:30 westbaystars: At the end of one complete, the Fighters lead 3-0.
13:30 basebill: if the Hamsters win, they move on to play the Hawks?
13:30 Allen: Michael, do they have the same playoff format in the CL?
13:31 westbaystars: No. The Dragons have won the title there.
13:31 westbaystars: ---
13:31 westbaystars: Top of Second
13:31 westbaystars: ---
13:31 westbaystars: Yes, the winner of this games goes to Fukuoka to play the Hawks.
13:31 westbaystars: (Questions answered in reverse order.)
13:32 westbaystars: Echevarria leads off the second inning for the Fighters.
13:32 westbaystars: With the Second Stage, if the Lions win, the Hawks must win three.
13:33 westbaystars: If the Fighters win, the Hawks will get an automatic win to start with, so they only need to win two.
13:33 westbaystars: A change up gets Echevarria swinging and missing on a 2-2 pitch.
13:33 westbaystars: One out.
13:33 Allen: And why is that?
13:34 westbaystars: Nippon Ham finished more than 5 games out of first. It's a reward to Daiei, or a penalty to the Ham.
13:34 Allen: Why do the Hawks get an automatic win in the second stage if the Hamsters win?
13:34 westbaystars: Number nine batting Kaneko stands in next.
13:35 Allen: Makes sense.
13:35 westbaystars: The purpose was to give a carrot for the third place team to work hard at the end.
13:36 westbaystars: Or a carrot for the first place team to finish strong.
13:36 Allen: Echevarria? What's is first name and do you know his background?
13:37 westbaystars: Angel is his first name.
13:37 westbaystars: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=1623
13:37 westbaystars: Shinjo gets a two out base hit.
13:38 westbaystars: I missed what Kaneko did. Answering questions here at home about computer hardware.
13:38 Allen: Thanks. I'll look at that after the game. The reason why I asked was that there were the Echevarria brothers that
13:39 Allen: played for the local high school team here in Fullerton
13:39 westbaystars: Narahara lines the ball to the outfield (center? right?)
13:39 westbaystars: Shinjo kicks second and heads to third.
13:39 westbaystars: The throw is not in time. Shinjo is safe at third.
13:40 westbaystars: It sounds like Narahara took second on the throw to third.
13:41 westbaystars: And with two outs, Ogasawara, who hit a three run home run in the first, comes up.
13:41 westbaystars: Yes, runners at second and third, two outs.
13:41 basebill: yes he did
13:41 basebill: yes he did
13:41 westbaystars: Fullerton? That sounds familiar.
13:41 westbaystars: Near Visalia?
13:42 Allen: Next to Anaheim. Home of the National Champion Cal State Fullerton Titans.
13:42 westbaystars: Oh. Southern California. That's right.
13:43 Allen: Michael, didn't I read in your bio that you were originally from California?
13:43 westbaystars: Nakajima makes a great play to get Ogasawara's ground ball up the middle, then throw him out.
13:44 westbaystars: Just getting him.
13:44 westbaystars: I was born and raised in Central Califnornia. Kings County.
13:44 westbaystars: The Fighters threaten, but Ogasawara doen't do it twice in a row.
13:45 westbaystars: After one and a half, they still lead 3-0.
13:45 westbaystars: ---
13:45 westbaystars: Bottom of Second
13:45 westbaystars: ---
13:46 Allen: Central California had a lot of Earthquake activity this past week - Around Bakersfield
13:46 westbaystars: Kaizuka, batting in the #6 spot tonight, leads off the Lions' half of the second.
13:47 westbaystars: And he grounds the ball up the middle, past Narahara, and into center field.
13:47 westbaystars: Lead off base hit.
13:48 westbaystars: That brings up Nakajima.
13:48 westbaystars: I had heard about a big quake last week, I didn't know it was there.
13:49 mijow: Michael, sorry to butt in here, but what's the story on TV coverage of this series? I assume it's being shown in Kanto?
13:49 westbaystars: The land slides here in Japan stood out a little more in the news.
13:50 westbaystars: It's the normal "start an hour into the game" thing.
13:50 Allen: The biggest one was 6.0 and they had several in the 5's and of course lots of aftershocks
13:50 westbaystars: Except for the first game.
13:51 Allen: Landslides in Japan, Volcanoes in Washington and Mexico, Earthquakes in California What's going on?
13:51 mijow: Well I don't think it's on at all in Kansai - not even cable.
13:51 westbaystars: Another example of the powers-that-be not knowing how to market the Pacific League.
13:52 mijow: Exactly!
13:52 westbaystars: It's on J Sports 3 (CS and some cable, but not mine).
13:52 westbaystars: The full count pitch with the runner going is fouled back.
13:52 mijow: Shinjo alone would have attracted viewers here.
13:53 westbaystars: Perhaps Hokkaido has better coverage.
13:53 westbaystars: The ball is grounded to third.
13:53 westbaystars: Ogasawara throws to second for one, the relay to first gets Nakajima, double play.
13:54 westbaystars: Despite the erasure of the runner, Ejiri is still throwing from the streach.
13:55 westbaystars: And he strikes Hosokawa out to retires the side.
13:55 westbaystars: Seibu got their lead-off runner on, but end with nothing to show for it.
13:55 westbaystars: At the end of two complete, the Fighting Ham lead the Lions 3-0.
13:56 westbaystars: ---
13:56 westbaystars: Top of Third
13:56 westbaystars: ---
13:57 Allen: Perfect starting time for me tonight. The final MLB game had just wrapped up when this one started.
13:57 westbaystars: Seguignol leads off for the fighters.
13:58 westbaystars: It was he who hit the three run home run in the first, not Ogasawar.
13:58 westbaystars: My bad.
14:00 westbaystars: Seguignol fouls a one strike, two ball pitch off his leg.
14:00 Allen: When does the second stage start?
14:00 westbaystars: The trainer goes out to have a look.
14:01 westbaystars: October 6, I think.
14:01 Allen: That's going to be a long layoff for the Dragons - by time the PL wraps up
14:02 westbaystars: Yea! TV Asahi (ABC network in Japan) is just starting their coverage.
14:02 westbaystars: The Dragons still have a number of games to complete.
14:03 westbaystars: The BayStars were just rained out today against the Giants, that'll have to be rescheduled.
14:03 westbaystars: Seguignol chases a pitch in the dirt, claims to have foul tipped it, but is called out on strikes.
14:04 westbaystars: Obando follows.
14:04 Allen: That's interesting. The CL is just playing makeup games now?
14:04 westbaystars: That's it.
14:04 westbaystars: Obando hits the ball deep to right-center.
14:05 westbaystars: The fielders run over.
14:05 westbaystars: and Akada makes the catch in the warning track for the second out of the inning.
14:06 westbaystars: Chunichi has four games remaining to play, as do the Giants.
14:06 westbaystars: Yokohama has the most games, 10.
14:07 westbaystars: Takahashi strikes out swinging at a high pitch, and the Fighters go down in order for the first time this afternoon.
14:07 westbaystars: ---
14:07 westbaystars: Bottom of Third
14:07 westbaystars: ---
14:07 Allen: You mentioned earlier that there were fans sitting in the rain but they are playing in a dome. Does the roof just cover
14:07 Allen: the field
14:08 westbaystars: The roof covers the field and stands, but there is a four meter gap or so all the way around.
14:08 westbaystars: The roof being held up on pillars all around.
14:09 westbaystars: The Major Leaguers a couple of years ago during the Nichi-Bei Series commented that it was the most impressive dome ...
14:09 westbaystars: ... that they'd seen.
14:10 westbaystars: It was literally built around and above the stadium, while the stadium was in use.
14:10 basebill: Have you ever been to Seibudome Michael?
14:10 Allen: So Seibu Dome has a synthetic surface I'm assuming. When was Seibudome builtt?
14:10 westbaystars: H. Takagi leads off for the Lions against Ejiri.
14:10 westbaystars: He lines the ball up the middle.
14:11 westbaystars: Narahara just misses the ball and it goes into center.
14:11 westbaystars: The Lions have their lead-off hitter on board again.
14:12 westbaystars: Yes to man-made surface. But then, it had that before the dome was built on top of it.
14:13 westbaystars: I'll need to look up when it was completed. It was several years ago.
14:13 westbaystars: Satoh fouls out to Seguignol in front of the Lions' dugout on the first base side.
14:13 westbaystars: One out.
14:14 westbaystars: That brings up Akada, a switch hitter batting left handed against the right handed Ejiri.
14:15 westbaystars: Akada bloops the ball just right of second base and into center field.
14:15 westbaystars: Takagi kicks second and heads into third without a throw.
14:16 westbaystars: The base hit puts runners at first and third with one out and Seibu's clean-up coming up.
14:16 westbaystars: Hillman-kantoku sends his pitching coach out to talk with Ejiri.
14:16 westbaystars: And Iriki gets up in the Fighters' bull pen.
14:17 westbaystars: Fernandez is 0 for 9 against Ejiri during the regular season.
14:17 westbaystars: Does that mean that Ejiri has the advantage? Or that Fernandez is due?
14:18 basebill: the roof was added to Lions stadium in 1999
14:19 Allen: Thanks Basebill-san. Have you been to the stadium Basebill? Or Michael?
14:19 westbaystars: Fernandez gives a big swing and miss on a 1-1 pitch outside.
14:19 westbaystars: The next pitch hits Fernandez in the stomach!
14:20 westbaystars: His helmet falls off as he tries to avoid it, and Ferdandez doesn't look happy.
14:20 westbaystars: But there isn't mallace in his face, either.
14:20 Allen: Ouch That's one way to get on.
14:20 westbaystars: That loads the bases for Cabrera.
14:20 basebill: I regrettably, have never been to Japan
14:20 westbaystars: It looks like the ball got more baggy uniform than gut.
14:21 basebill: He still didn't like it!
14:21 westbaystars: Cabrera is up there swinging, missing Ejiri's first offering out and low,
14:22 westbaystars: then fouling off the next pitch just on the outside corner.
14:22 westbaystars: With one out, the Fighters' infield is at double play depth.
14:22 westbaystars: Cabu hits it!
14:22 westbaystars: No doubt about this one!
14:22 westbaystars: Haittaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
14:22 westbaystars: Cabrera watches the ball all the way into the left field stands.
14:23 westbaystars: Gyaku-ten manrui home run!
14:23 westbaystars: The Lions take a 4-3 lead.
14:23 westbaystars: Ejiri challened him with the third pitch, and Cabu-chan got all of it.
14:24 Allen: The complexion of this game changed quickly.
14:24 westbaystars: Wada comes up next.
14:25 westbaystars: Wada grounds the ball up the middle, and the Lions continue their rally.
14:25 Allen: Basebill, we need to hook up and go to Japan for three weeks and to all the sites. Michael you can meet us in Yokahama
14:25 westbaystars: You don't want to allow base runners with Fernandez and Cabrera coming up.
14:26 westbaystars: Sounds great!
14:26 westbaystars: Kaizuka comes up next.
14:27 westbaystars: Kazuka grounds the ball to first.
14:27 westbaystars: Seguignol rushes in, fields the ball, fires to second to get one,
14:28 westbaystars: The relay to first is way too late, safe.
14:28 westbaystars: That makes it two down with a faster runner at first.
14:28 westbaystars: Nakajima comes up to bat.
14:28 westbaystars: Thinking of doing something like Timmerman-san did?
14:29 westbaystars: Ejiri gets ahead in the count quickly, two strikes, no balls.
14:29 westbaystars: Just as he did against Cabu-chan.
14:29 westbaystars: Ejiri's third pitch is a one bounder, waste pitch.
14:30 westbaystars: It hits Takahashi's chest protector, but doesn't bounce far enough away for Kaizuka to try for second.
14:32 westbaystars: In the end, Ejiri gets Nakajima swinging at a pitch way outside and in the dirt to end the inning.
14:32 westbaystars: But Cabrera hits a huge grand slam home run to turn this game around.
14:32 westbaystars: After three complete, the Lions now lead 4-3.
14:32 westbaystars: ---
14:32 westbaystars: Top of Fourth
14:32 westbaystars: ---
14:34 basebill: michael, how many of the parks have you been to?
14:35 westbaystars: Good question. Yokohama, Tokyo Dome, Jingu, Chiba Marine, and Hiroshima Shimin Kyujo.
14:35 westbaystars: The first batter flies out to center.
14:35 Allen: Your favorite?
14:35 westbaystars: That was Shimada.
14:36 niibu_yaa: Impressive.
14:36 basebill: which park do you like the most?
14:36 westbaystars: Angel Echevarria follows.
14:36 westbaystars: Angel grounds the ball up the middle, left of the bag.
14:36 westbaystars: Nakajiama streaches as far as he can on the run, gloves the ball, and throws to first.
14:37 westbaystars: He *just* gets Echevarria by half a step at first.
14:37 westbaystars: Nice play.
14:37 westbaystars: That's the second out of the inning.
14:37 westbaystars: Kaneko follows.
14:37 westbaystars: And strikes out swinging on a pitch inside and in the dirt.
14:38 basebill: nakajima has to be glad Kazuo chose to go to MLB.
14:38 westbaystars: Hoashi has really settled in since the threat in the second inning.
14:38 westbaystars: That's two perfect innings in a row since then.
14:39 westbaystars: I did think that Nakajima more than filled in for Matsui during the first half, but wasn't too impressed with ...
14:39 westbaystars: ... what I'd seen of him in the second half.
14:39 westbaystars: This play makes up for it.
14:39 westbaystars: ---
14:39 Allen: niibu_yaa - Do you live in Japan?
14:39 westbaystars: Bottom of Fourth
14:39 westbaystars: ---
14:40 westbaystars: I'm not sure which stadium I like best.
14:40 niibu_yaa: No sir... i did live there for close to two years though
14:41 westbaystars: Former Giant pitcher Iriki comes in to pitch.
14:41 basebill: Nakajima may have tired with his first full-time job...
14:41 westbaystars: His first pitch to Hosokawa is called strike one.
14:42 westbaystars: Nakajima converted from being a catcher last year.
14:42 Allen: We were talking about the stadiums in the league - How many have you been to - Niibu_yaa?
14:42 westbaystars: And I think he made the coversion very well.
14:42 niibu_yaa: Any net broadcast of the game tonight? or should I try to get into yahoo chat?
14:42 westbaystars: Iriki gets Hosokawa swinging at an outside slider. One out.
14:43 niibu_yaa: Just two...well 3 if you count the Dragons Summer Facility.
14:43 niibu_yaa: Also been to Koshien (for high school games) and the Fukuoka dome.
14:43 basebill: I've been amazed at how well other players have played after being converted from cather, Sekikawa comes to mind
14:43 westbaystars: Iriki then goes behind Takagi no strikes, three balls.
14:44 westbaystars: The fourth pitch looks close, but Takagi walks on four pitches.
14:44 Allen: Which ones Niibu_yaa and what was your favorite stadium?
14:45 niibu_yaa: Koshien for the history of it.
14:45 Allen: When was Koshien built?
14:45 westbaystars: We're back to the top of the order in Satoh.
14:46 westbaystars: In the 1920's, I think.
14:46 basebill: I'm watching the game on Yahoo Japan motion viewerNiibu_yaa-san
14:47 Allen: Wow. Is that the oldest facility in the Japanese Leagues?
14:47 westbaystars: Something involving Koshien and 1928 comes to mind, but I'm not sure if that was it's construction date or not.
14:48 niibu_yaa: thaks bill...haven't heard of that...got a link please?
14:48 westbaystars: I think that Jingu is close to the same time. But its history is with collage ball which isn't as rich as the ...
14:49 westbaystars: ... yearly national high school championships.
14:49 basebill: Koshien-1921, Jingu-1926
14:49 westbaystars: Akada grounds the ball through the right side and into right.
14:50 westbaystars: Takagi kicks second and heads into third without a throw.
14:50 westbaystars: No, he holds at second.
14:50 Allen: Which reminds me that a couple of the Japanese college teams come in each year to play an exhibition against our
14:50 Allen: Cal State Fullerton team
14:50 westbaystars: Runners at first and second, Akada at the plate?
14:51 westbaystars: I seem to have gotten out of the batting order.
14:51 westbaystars: That was Satoh who had the single.
14:52 basebill: sorry, missed the response http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/stream/baseball/pl/16/seibulions/motion/
14:52 westbaystars: Now Akada lines a clean single to right.
14:52 westbaystars: Shimada is up and throwing home.
14:52 westbaystars: Seguignol cuts the ball off as Takagi holds at third.
14:52 niibu_yaa: thanks
14:53 basebill: i believe if the Lions put a couple on the board this inning it is over for the Hamsters
14:53 westbaystars: That brings up Fernandez with the bases loaded and one out.
14:54 westbaystars: Iriki is exactly where he doesn't want to be, with runners on base and Fernandez, Cabrera coming up.
14:54 westbaystars: The 1-1 pitch looked awfully good to me, but was called ball two.
14:54 basebill: The Lions onedan is rockin'!!
14:55 westbaystars: The next pitch is inside and tight, lifted to shallow left-center.
14:55 westbaystars: Shinjo runs in and, not slowing down, makes the grab.
14:55 westbaystars: That's the second out with bases still loaded.
14:55 westbaystars: The right field stands are up.
14:56 westbaystars: The first pitch is taken for ball one.
14:56 basebill: a real test for Iriki
14:57 westbaystars: The announcers on the radio just said that Cabu is 1 for 1 against Iriki with 3 RBIs.
14:58 westbaystars: Cabrera swinging late, streaching to reach a pitch way outside, missing it.
14:58 westbaystars: The count become two strikes and a ball.
14:58 basebill: that was a great pitch!
14:58 westbaystars: The fourth pitch *just* misses the inside corner.
14:59 westbaystars: Nice pitch!
14:59 westbaystars: But it evens the count at 2-2.
14:59 westbaystars: The next pitch is outside and watched by Cabu. Full count.
15:00 westbaystars: The shoubu pitch is fouled off the left side.
15:00 westbaystars: We'll do it again. Bases laoded, two outs, full count.
15:00 westbaystars: The pitch...
15:00 westbaystars: called ball four!
15:00 westbaystars: Oshidashi!
15:01 westbaystars: The Lions increase their lead to 5-3.
15:01 westbaystars: The pitch, again, looked pretty good. Missed inside?
15:02 westbaystars: That brings up Wada, with based still loaded and two down.
15:03 westbaystars: The third pitch is called strike three on the outside corner.
15:03 westbaystars: That retires the side, with Wada complaining about the call a bit.
15:03 basebill: i thought the ump blew the call.
15:03 basebill: on Cabrera
15:03 westbaystars: But it's one batter too late as the Lions take a 5-3 lead.
15:03 westbaystars: ---
15:04 westbaystars: Top of Fifth
15:04 westbaystars: ---
15:04 westbaystars: Cabrera got a couple of border-line calls in his favor.
15:04 westbaystars: Wada got that last one against him.
15:05 niibu_yaa: fun song
15:05 westbaystars: Shinjo leads off the fifth inning for the Fighters.
15:06 basebill: no, it's not, not after a couple hundred times
15:06 westbaystars:
15:06 Allen: What were you guys listening to?
15:07 basebill: shopping Michael?
15:07 niibu_yaa: It's not the FDH song that's for sure.
15:07 westbaystars: The "squint-vision" broadcast mentioned above.
15:08 westbaystars: Shinjo grounds out to Fernandez at third for the first out of the inning.
15:08 basebill: allen,http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/stream/baseball/pl/16/seibulions/motion
15:08 westbaystars: Daiei's saving the song for next week should they win.
15:09 westbaystars: Narahara follows.
15:10 westbaystars: And he goes down looking at a two strike, one ball offering on the outside corner.
15:10 Allen: Thanks, Basebill. By the way are you from the northeastern part of the states?
15:10 westbaystars: Hoashi threw a nice pitch there.
15:10 westbaystars: That brings up Ogasawara.
15:11 basebill: Hoashi looks like he's all pumped up
15:11 niibu_yaa: I like Daiei's chances with the Fighters better.
15:11 basebill: pa
15:12 westbaystars: Ogasawara goes down swinging at a low-outside pitch.
15:12 westbaystars: that retires the side in order yet again.
15:13 westbaystars: That's three perfect innings in a row for Hoashi.
15:13 westbaystars: ---
15:13 westbaystars: Bottom of Fifth
15:13 westbaystars: ---
15:13 basebill: michio looked bad the entire at bat
15:14 Allen: Phillies or Pirates fan?, basebill?
15:15 westbaystars: Iriki is still on the mound for the Fighters.
15:15 basebill: buccos, I'm originally from Pitts.
15:15 westbaystars: He faces Kaizuka to start the bottom of the fifth.
15:15 westbaystars: Kaizuka pulls the ball to right field.
15:15 westbaystars: One bound, two bounds, base hit.
15:15 westbaystars: That's Kaizuka's second hit in three attempts this afternoon.
15:16 westbaystars: Next up is number seven batter Nakajima.
15:16 westbaystars: Nakajima is showing bunt from the start.
15:16 westbaystars: Itoh-kantoku calls time to talk to the first base umpire.
15:17 westbaystars: Did he call it a strike?
15:17 westbaystars: Looked like Nakajima pulled the bat back in time to me.
15:17 basebill: me too
15:18 westbaystars: Itoh's arguing a long time. The first base ump must have said he swung.
15:18 basebill: looked alittle different in slo-motion, strike
15:18 westbaystars: He finally gives up and throws some signs to the third base coach while walking back to the first base dugout.
15:19 westbaystars: Nakajima is still squaring, takes, and it's called strike two.
15:20 westbaystars: Nakajima is still showing bunt, but pulls the bat back to buster, and takes ball one.
15:20 westbaystars: He fakes bunt, and lines the next pitch to right.
15:20 westbaystars: That's the first out of the inning.
15:21 westbaystars: Next up is Hosokawa.
15:21 westbaystars: Hosokawa lays down a bunt just in front of the plate.
15:21 westbaystars: The only play is to first, and Hosokawa succeeds where Nakajima failed.
15:21 Allen: Cool. I'm looking at the video. Thanks Basebill.
15:21 westbaystars: Hosokawa had 23 sacrifice bunts on the season.
15:22 westbaystars: next up is Takagi.
15:23 basebill: sure, allen-san, Michael is the Lions bullpen a good one?
15:24 westbaystars: Yes.
15:25 westbaystars: It's probably not as good as it was in the 1990s, but still relyable.
15:25 basebill: the Fighters have to make something happen next inning
15:25 Allen: Basebill, have you been to the new ballpark in Pittsburgh?
15:26 basebill: not yet
15:27 westbaystars: Takagi works the count full.
15:27 westbaystars: The next pitch is low, ball four!
15:27 westbaystars: That puts runners at first and second with two outs.
15:27 westbaystars: 48 pitches so far for these two innings for Iriki. That's kind of high.
15:28 basebill: too high
15:28 Allen: That reminds me that I have one of the Pirate caps from the 70's. The painter cap.
15:28 westbaystars: Back to the top of the order in Satoh.
15:29 westbaystars: Huh? The first base umpire says that Satoh didn't swing at the third pitch, when it looked like he did.
15:30 basebill: the '70s where a golden era for Pitts. sports
15:30 westbaystars: The 2-2 pitch is high, but swung on and missed.
15:30 westbaystars: That retires the side.
15:31 westbaystars: At the end of five complete, the Lions continue to lead 5-3.
15:31 westbaystars: ---
15:31 westbaystars: Top of Sixth
15:31 westbaystars: ---
15:31 basebill: I think it's now or never for the Fighters
15:32 Allen: You got that right. The Steelers...the Bucs. Good times.
15:33 basebill: and PITT, Tony Dorsett
15:33 westbaystars: Seguignol leads off for the Fighters.
15:33 Allen: Oh yeah. That's right. Weren't the Pens playing good during the 70's also?
15:34 basebill: no they weren't
15:35 Allen: I'm still upset about the 79 Super Bowl when the Steelers beat my Rams
15:36 westbaystars: Seguignol goes down swinging for the first out of the inning.
15:36 basebill: good!
15:36 westbaystars: That brings up Obando.
15:36 basebill: Hoashi is looking really good
15:37 westbaystars: Perfect since the third inning.
15:38 basebill: this is the first time I've seen Hoashi
15:39 westbaystars: Obando lifts a high fly to right.
15:39 westbaystars: Satoh has it, and we have two outs.
15:40 westbaystars: Takahashi Shinji follows.
15:41 westbaystars: Takahashi goes deep to right.
15:41 westbaystars: Going, going, Saitoh is at the fense.
15:41 westbaystars: He jumps, and makes the catch while leaning against the wall.
15:41 westbaystars: Three out.
15:41 westbaystars: Akahashi completes his fourth perfect inning in a row.
15:41 basebill: great catch!
15:42 westbaystars: After five and a half innings, the Lions continue to lead 5-3.
15:42 westbaystars: ---
15:42 westbaystars: Bottom of Sixth
15:42 westbaystars: ---
15:43 Allen: Michael, how did they cover Ichiro Suzuki breaking the record.? Did they show the Mariner game in Japan?
15:45 westbaystars: Iriki, after getting two strikes on Akada, misses with the next three in a row.
15:45 westbaystars: The next pitch is grounded to second, and we have one out.
15:46 westbaystars: They interrupted the second game yesterday on the radio to cover Ichiro's third at bat.
15:46 westbaystars: I changed the channel to one that stayed with the Fighters vs. Lions game.
15:47 westbaystars: Ichiro got more coverage in the newspaper than the playoffs as well.
15:47 westbaystars: Fernandez follows.
15:48 westbaystars: 38,000 fans announced as the attendance this afternoon.
15:49 westbaystars: Fernandes takes an inside pitch and punches it the other way over Narahara and into right.
15:49 Allen: Is that a sellout? How many does Seibudome hold?
15:50 westbaystars: The newspaper says they had 45,000 yesterday.
15:50 westbaystars: Cabrera comes up.
15:50 westbaystars: He's hit one home run and driven in 8 this series.
15:50 westbaystars: A three run double in the first game, and walked in a run after his grand slam.
15:51 westbaystars: Iriki is avoiding the strike zone, falling behind one strike, three balls.
15:52 westbaystars: The fifth pitch is swung on and missed, full count.
15:52 westbaystars: Slider had him fooled.
15:53 westbaystars: Takahashi sets up outside, the pitch, is swung on and missed!
15:53 westbaystars: Iriki got him on a low pitch on the outside part of the plate.
15:53 westbaystars: That's the second out of the inning.
15:53 westbaystars: Next up is Wada with a runner at first.
15:54 westbaystars: Wada has had his ups and downs.
15:54 westbaystars: After Kiyohara defected to the Giants, Wada was supposed to step up and be the Lions' number four hitter.
15:55 westbaystars: But he never produced to the point that was expected of him.
15:55 westbaystars: He's been doing pretty well for much of this year, though.
15:56 westbaystars: He bounces the ball up the middle here, just left of the second base bag.
15:56 westbaystars: That keeps the Lions in the inning, with Wada's second hit of the night.
15:57 westbaystars: That brings up Kaizuka who struggled through the first two games, then got his first two hits of the series ...
15:57 westbaystars: ... this afternoon.
15:58 westbaystars: Iriki throws three straight balls to Kaizuka.
15:59 westbaystars: The next pitch is called high, ball four.
15:59 westbaystars: That loads the bases for the third time this afternoon.
15:59 westbaystars: Cabrera hit the ball out the first time, and walked the second time.
16:00 westbaystars: Here, though, number seven batter Nakajima comes up with the bases loaded.
16:00 westbaystars: Nakajima definately fails to hold up on the first pitch this time.
16:01 westbaystars: The second pitch gets away from Takahashi.
16:01 westbaystars: Fernandez dashes for home.
16:01 westbaystars: Iriki covers.
16:01 westbaystars: The toss is in time! Fernandez is called out sliding into the glove!
16:02 westbaystars: That ends the Lions' threat.
16:02 basebill: Big play!!
16:02 westbaystars: At the end of six complete, Seibu continues to lead 5-3.
16:03 westbaystars: ---
16:03 westbaystars: Top of Seventh
16:03 westbaystars: ---
16:04 Allen: Your right Basebill. With the way that the Seibu pitcher is going that run would have been huge.
16:05 westbaystars: Hoashi hasn't given up a walk yet this game.
16:05 westbaystars: It doesn't look like the Lions' bull pen will be necessary.
16:06 basebill: who is the new pitcher?
16:06 westbaystars: Shimada leads off for the Fighters.
16:06 westbaystars: Oh, but Osada is in to pitch!
16:07 westbaystars: Itoh-kantoku isn't going to risk a break down like Chang had yesterday?
16:07 westbaystars: Shimada draws a walk, the first free base for the Fighters today.
16:08 westbaystars: Seibu's pitching coach is out of the dugout and going to the mound.
16:08 westbaystars: Araki-pitching coach, that is.
16:08 westbaystars: Osada says "Hai," and Araki-pitching coach heads back to the dugout.
16:09 westbaystars: Kimoto comes on to pinch hit.
16:09 Allen: Wow. What happened? Why would you change Hoashi after he was doing so well?
16:09 westbaystars: The Fighters want to take advantage of their first base runner since the second inning.
16:09 westbaystars: Well, Chang was doing pretty well yesterday until about this time.
16:10 westbaystars: Osada gets two quick strikes on Kimoto.
16:10 westbaystars: High pitch, not swung on according to the third base umpire. I agree.
16:11 Allen: What are they saving Hoashi for? There is no tomorrow if they lose!
16:11 basebill: Hoashi only had 1 complete game in 14 starts this year
16:12 westbaystars: I think he was over 100 pitches, but am not sure.
16:12 westbaystars: It didn't seem like he threw that many.
16:12 westbaystars: Kimoto swings out for the first out of the seventh.
16:13 westbaystars: Tsuboi now comes up to pinch hit for Kaneko.
16:13 Allen: Toashi was cruising. He could have easily gone two more.
16:14 westbaystars: The pitch is down the middle, and bounces off of Hosokawa's glove.
16:14 westbaystars: He was expecting the ball to drop, it looks like.
16:14 Allen: If the Lions lose they'll be questioning that move all winter.
16:14 westbaystars: The rebound back to the mound allows Shimada to move to second well before the throw.
16:15 westbaystars: The move really surprises me as well. He really settled down after the first two innings.
16:15 westbaystars: But then, there were several long balls the last couple of innings.
16:16 westbaystars: That may be an indicator that he's tired.
16:17 westbaystars: Tsuboi grounds the ball to the right side.
16:17 Allen: You may be right on that count. Who knows what was going on in the dugout between innings.
16:17 westbaystars: The pitcher, first baseman, and second baseman all converge.
16:17 westbaystars: Osada grabs the ball and takes it to the bag just ahead of Tsuboi.
16:18 westbaystars: That brings up Shinjo.
16:18 westbaystars: There are some pitchers who, as soon as they walk their first batter, I'd change.
16:18 westbaystars: It's a sign of bad things to come.
16:19 westbaystars: And more often than not, if they aren't change, bad things happen.
16:19 westbaystars: Shinjo shatters the bat at the handle.
16:19 westbaystars: Osada runs in, fields the ball, fires to first.
16:19 westbaystars: In time!
16:19 westbaystars: Shinjo is out.
16:19 westbaystars: That retires the side.
16:20 westbaystars: Seibu gave up a lead-off walk, but it didn't hurt.
16:20 westbaystars: Going to the Lions' Lucky Seven, Seibu continues to lead 5-3.
16:20 westbaystars: ---
16:20 westbaystars: Bottom of Seventh
16:20 westbaystars: ---
16:20 Allen: Have you noticed a lot of broken bats this year in the Japanese Leagues? There seemed to be more than usual in MLB this
16:20 Allen: year
16:21 westbaystars: That was the third or fourth this series.
16:22 basebill: it has become very diffacult to find good lumber over the last decade
16:22 westbaystars: It seem that if there was one in a game then there was two or three.
16:23 westbaystars: I think it's the pitcher in particular.
16:23 westbaystars: Tateyama takes over on the mound for the Fighters.
16:24 westbaystars: He's a side-arm thrower.
16:24 Allen: Why do you think this game is not a sell out, Michael? The weather?
16:24 westbaystars: 2.33 ERA in 41 games, 1 win, 3 losses on the season.
16:24 westbaystars: The weather. Also, pre-game sales are tough with a series that might not go three games.
16:24 westbaystars: Those who bought tickets would go despite the weather.
16:25 westbaystars: Nakajima grounds out to start the inning.
16:25 westbaystars: Hosokawa comes up next.
16:25 westbaystars: But Seibu Dome is out in the middle of nowhere.
16:26 westbaystars: They don't get many people "just passing by."
16:26 westbaystars: Hosogawa strikes out on three pitches.
16:26 westbaystars: Nice job, Tateyama.
16:26 westbaystars: That brings up number nine batting Takagi.
16:27 Allen: How many innings does Tateyama usually go? Is he there to get them to the ninth for a closer?
16:29 westbaystars: Only one save point, mainly middle relief.
16:29 basebill: tatayama has 41 appearances, 46IP
16:29 westbaystars: 46 1/3rd innings.
16:29 westbaystars: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/teams/stats.jsp?TeamID=HNHF
16:30 westbaystars: Takagi pops out to Shinjo in left-center, and the side is retired in order.
16:30 westbaystars: Tateyama did his job and held the Lions hitless.
16:30 westbaystars: ... in 41 innings - so mostly a one inning reliever.
16:31 Allen: I have to believe in today's game everybody's ready to go. This is it.
16:31 westbaystars: At the end of seven complete, the score remains Fighters 3 - 5 Lions.
16:31 westbaystars: ---
16:31 westbaystars: Top of Eighth
16:31 westbaystars: ---
16:31 westbaystars: 必死 (literally "necessary death").
16:32 Allen: They also have three days to get ready for the next series if they come back.
16:32 westbaystars: 必勝 ("necessary win").
16:32 westbaystars: These two words are used a lot in this situtation.
16:33 westbaystars: They have *got to* win.
16:33 westbaystars: They've got to play as though their life depended on it.
16:33 westbaystars: In to pitch for Seibu this inning is Hoshino.
16:34 Allen: We say "sudden death" in the states
16:35 Allen: See, the Lions are throwing the proverbial kitchen sink now.
16:36 westbaystars: But Hoshino's behind to the lead-off batter, one stike, three balls.
16:36 westbaystars: He doesn't want to let him on,
16:36 Allen: Basebill, you still awake? It's 3:35 AM in PA now.
16:36 westbaystars: but he does! Ball high.
16:36 basebill: yes, sort of!!
16:36 westbaystars: Hillman comes out and sends Furuki to pinch run for Narahara.
16:36 westbaystars: That brings up Ogasawara.
16:37 westbaystars: I figured the chatter would get quieter as it got later over there.
16:37 westbaystars: Ogasawara wanted that second pitch, but swung and missed to even the count at 1-1.
16:38 basebill: i think this is why Hoshino is in now
16:38 westbaystars: Ogasawara is swinging hard at a 141 pitch low and over the outside part of the plate.
16:38 westbaystars: Ogasawara is 0 for 9 against Hoshino this season.
16:39 Allen: These day games are great for us left coasters. It's only 12:38 AM here. The night is young.
16:39 westbaystars: The 2-2 pitch is inside, full count.
16:40 basebill: I'm in better shape than I was last night
16:40 westbaystars: The next pitch is swung on and missed!
16:40 westbaystars: Strike three!
16:40 westbaystars: That's the first out of the inning.
16:41 westbaystars: With right handed batter Seguignol coming up, the Lions are making a move.l
16:41 basebill: Ogasawara has not looked good at all tonight
16:41 westbaystars: Right handed Onodera is coming in to pitch to Seguignol.
16:42 westbaystars: Actually, Seguignol is a switch hitter, so they're trying to play to his weaker side.
16:42 westbaystars: Ogasawara has made some big whiffs today, that's for sure.
16:43 westbaystars: Seguignol comes in batting left handed.
16:43 westbaystars: And gives a big swing and miss to Onodera's first two pitches.
16:44 westbaystars: Toyoda is up in the Lions' bull pen.
16:44 westbaystars: Whooo. The third pitch was close, but called ball one inside.
16:44 basebill: the 9th is his
16:44 Allen: Basebill, I lost the connection to the video link. Can you give it to me one more time when you get a chance.
16:45 Allen: I'll save it this time
16:45 westbaystars: The next pitch is called strike three!
16:45 westbaystars: Two outs.
16:45 basebill: http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/stream/baseball/pl/16/seibulions/motion/
16:45 westbaystars: Seguignol was looking fork, and the ball didn't drop.
16:45 westbaystars: Obando comes up with two outs and a runner at first.
16:46 westbaystars: He still represents the tying run.
16:46 westbaystars: Obando is 4 for 9 in the playoffs, one hit today.
16:47 westbaystars: ... so far.
16:47 Allen: Thanks Basebill
16:48 basebill: no prob
16:48 westbaystars: The next pitch is swung on and missed! Strike three!
16:48 westbaystars: After the lead-off runner reach, the next three Fighters went down on strikes.
16:48 basebill: wow!
16:49 westbaystars: With one chance left to go, the Fighters trail by two, 3-5.
16:49 westbaystars: ---
16:49 westbaystars: Bottom of Eighth
16:49 westbaystars: ---
16:50 westbaystars: Yokoyama comes in to pitch for the Fighters.
16:52 westbaystars: Satoh leads off for the Lions.
16:53 westbaystars: He pushes the ball up the first base line, safety bunt.
16:53 westbaystars: But Satoh bunts the ball too hard.
16:53 westbaystars: Wada picks the ball up and steps on the bag with one step back.
16:53 westbaystars: That's one out.
16:54 westbaystars: Not a good start for Seibu. Odd try.
16:55 westbaystars: The third base umpire gave a warning to someone out his/her flash, according to the radio.
16:55 westbaystars: That was an odd pause.
16:55 westbaystars: Akada follows.
16:56 basebill: I believe it was in Ogasawara's line of vision
16:57 westbaystars: Akada grounds the ball right to Furuki now at short.
16:57 westbaystars: He throws to first for the second out of the inning.
16:57 westbaystars: Fernandez comes up with nobody on.
16:59 westbaystars: Yokoyama plays with the corners, but misses three out of four times.
17:00 westbaystars: Then gets Fernandez swinging to bring the count full.
17:00 westbaystars: The shoubu pitch is outside, ball four.
17:00 westbaystars: Fernandez gets on and Cabrera comes up.
17:01 westbaystars: The first pitch is swung on and missed, strike one.
17:02 westbaystars: And we pass the four hour mark for this game.
17:02 westbaystars: Fork ball swung on and missed. Two quick strikes.
17:02 Allen: Wow. Time flies by fast when you're having fun.
17:02 westbaystars: Yokoyama seemed to avoid challenging Fernandez, but is going right after Cabu.
17:03 westbaystars: The next pitch is outside and in the dirt. Takahashi does a good job keeping it in front of him.
17:03 westbaystars: The fourth pitch is fouled off the right side. Cabrera hangs in there.
17:04 westbaystars: Fork misses inside, 2-2.
17:05 westbaystars: 144 kph fast ball fouled back. Count remains 2-2.
17:06 westbaystars: Cabu just gets a piece of the next fork ball outside.
17:06 westbaystars: Check swing foul ball.
17:07 westbaystars: Cabrera is making Yokoyama work.
17:07 westbaystars: Yokoyama's nineth pitch to Cabrera is swung on and missed.
17:07 westbaystars: Strike three.
17:07 westbaystars: That retires the side.
17:08 westbaystars: Going to the Fighters' last chance, they continue to trail 3-5.
17:08 westbaystars: ---
17:08 westbaystars: Top of Nineth
17:08 westbaystars: ---
17:08 westbaystars: Nippon Ham will have a task cut out for them as Toyota is announced as the closer.
17:09 Martin: I got up at 6 this morning to watch the game, I watched till the 7th inn. but have no view now.
17:09 westbaystars: That's Toyoda, not Toyota.
17:10 basebill: I'm starting to lose the veiw too
17:10 Allen: The Hamsters will have to make like the Dodgers today - They were down by three going to the nintth and scored 7 to win
17:10 Allen: You got it, Toyoda
17:10 Martin: Don't refresh, I even lost sound now. I lost everything!
17:10 westbaystars: I've tried the Lions' "Squint Vision," but there appear to be too many people on it.
17:11 westbaystars: At least, for the non-plugin version, which I think gets less priority.
17:11 Allen: I don't have it either
17:11 westbaystars: Toyota takes his hat off, puts it on.
17:11 westbaystars: Places his hand to his chest for what appears to be a short prayer.
17:12 westbaystars: Then he touches the brim of his cap to each of his infielders before turning to start the inning.
17:12 Martin: Go Toyada!
17:12 Martin: Sorry, Toyoda
17:13 westbaystars: Takahashi is leading off.
17:13 Allen: I hope all that activity didn't take too much out of him.
17:13 westbaystars: It appears to be his way of psyching himself up.
17:14 westbaystars: The 2-2 pitch is lines to shallow center.
17:14 westbaystars: Akada dives for the ball!
17:14 westbaystars: he gets it on one bound!
17:14 westbaystars: That was dangerous!
17:14 westbaystars: If he'd have missed, it would have gone through to the fense for at least two.
17:15 westbaystars: It looks like Akada hurt himself on that dive.
17:15 westbaystars: His right pinky finger.
17:15 westbaystars: Takanami is coming in to play center as Akada comes in to get his finger checked out.
17:16 westbaystars: Lead-off runner is on.
17:16 westbaystars: Oda comes in to pinch hit.
17:16 Allen: That was a totally unnecessary dive. He's lucky he didn't cost his team more.
17:17 westbaystars: My thoughts exactly. He wasn't going to get to it. He should have played it safe.
17:18 westbaystars: And you could say that it cost them *him*.
17:18 westbaystars: Oda goes down swinging for the first out.
17:18 Martin: He still young and unexperienced
17:19 Allen: Forgive my ignorance about Japanese baseball, but can Adada return after he gets his finger checked?
17:19 Allen: I mean Akada
17:19 westbaystars: No, he's out of the game.
17:19 Martin: Nope
17:19 Martin: Same rules everywhere
17:19 westbaystars: He should go to the hospital and get the finger checked, but I'm sure he'll protest to wait for the game to end.
17:20 Martin: Even here in Holland
17:20 westbaystars: He'll just accept what ever the trainer can do for him until then.
17:20 Allen: That's what I thought, Martin.
17:21 Martin: How's Oda doing
17:21 westbaystars: The 2-2 pitch is hit deep to right center.
17:21 westbaystars: Kimoto takes two steps slowly to first, watching the ball.
17:22 westbaystars: There's no doubt about this one.
17:22 westbaystars: We have a tie ball game!
17:22 westbaystars: Big two run home run into the Seibu oen-dan in right!
17:22 Allen: OMG!
17:23 Martin: Oops!
17:23 westbaystars: Tsuboi comes up, grounds the first pitch to short, and we have two outs.
17:23 westbaystars: That brings up Shinjo, and the left side of the stadium goes wild.
17:24 Martin: Who hit the HR, not Oda.
17:24 westbaystars: He's swinging at the first pitch, but fouls if off the right side.
17:24 westbaystars: Kimoto.
17:25 westbaystars: Shinjo pulls the ball up the third base line and stumbles out of the batter's box.
17:25 westbaystars: Fernandez fields the ball next to the third base bag, throws to first, and the Fighters are retired.
17:25 westbaystars: But two batters too late as Toyoda blows the safe, giving up a game tying two run home run to Kimoto.
17:26 Allen: What did Toyoda throw to Kimoto?
17:26 westbaystars: Going to the bottom of the nineth, we now have a tied ball game, 5-5.
17:26 westbaystars: ---
17:26 westbaystars: Bottom of Nineth
17:26 westbaystars: ---
17:26 westbaystars: I'm not sure what the pitch was. I was too busy watching Kimoto's reaction.
17:27 westbaystars: Wada will lead off the bottom of the nineth for Seibu.
17:28 westbaystars: Toyoda's reaction was a look upward in excruciating pain.
17:28 westbaystars: He wants that pitch back.
17:28 Allen: I (don't) like what you do for me Toyoda. (Another American Toyota advertising slogan)
17:28 Martin: He did not hit much today. I hope for a sayonara HR.
17:29 westbaystars: My impression (no evidence) is that Wada hits better with nobody on and in low-pressure situations.
17:30 westbaystars: I admit, I haven't watched the Lions too often, but when I have, that's what I've seen of him.
17:30 westbaystars: Maybe I've just been a jinx to him.
17:30 westbaystars: TV broadcast is gone.
17:30 Allen: I'm assuming that this game will go as long as it takes to complete. No ties, right?
17:30 westbaystars: Wada hits the ball deep, but foul.
17:30 westbaystars: There are ties. After 12 innings.
17:31 westbaystars: I don't remember how they decided it if they finished 1-1-1.
17:31 westbaystars: But there was such a provision.
17:32 westbaystars: But that's not a problem.
17:32 westbaystars: Wada hits a sayonara home run!
17:32 Allen: In a playoff game? That's another thing I would change if I was commisioner of this league.
17:32 westbaystars: Seibu goes on to the Second Stage!
17:32 Martin: I guess they'll play again.
17:32 Allen: You called it Martin
17:32 westbaystars: Seibu Dome goes wild!
17:32 Allen: Wow!
17:33 Martin: I hoped for a hr, and it's true. woooaowwww
17:33 westbaystars: Nice call, Martin.
17:33 Martin: That's good for Wada's confidence.
17:33 Allen: Basebill - Still awake?
17:33 basebill: what a finish to a good game
17:34 Martin: Now the Hawks!
17:34 westbaystars: Hey, just was just wrote those same words!
17:34 westbaystars: (Basebill's)
17:34 basebill: I must sleep now. thanks Westbay-san, night Allen, Martin take care
17:35 westbaystars: Hillman-kantoku goes out and shakes Itoh-kantoku's hand, and wishes him luck.
17:35 westbaystars: Good night.
17:35 westbaystars: Hope to see you again on the 6th against the Hawks.
17:35 westbaystars: ****
17:35 westbaystars: Game Final
17:35 westbaystars: Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters 5 - 6 Seibu Lions
17:35 basebill: Wow worth staying up for good morning!
17:35 Allen: Take care basebill - Go Steelers!
17:36 Allen: Mijow - you have to stay with us. That was a great game and finish!
17:36 westbaystars: Wada comes out to accept the Hero Interview.
17:37 westbaystars: Congratulations.
17:37 westbaystars: Thank you.
17:37 westbaystars: How did you feel before the game?
17:37 westbaystars: Nippon Ham is a strong team. It will be tough.
17:37 mijow: Yeah, it looks like I just missed the excitement again. I have a habit of doing that!
17:37 westbaystars: Missed the question?
17:38 westbaystars: It was thanks to the chears of the fans?
17:38 westbaystars: How did you feel standing in?
17:38 westbaystars: I wanted to hit a sweet pitch.
17:38 westbaystars: Final words?
17:39 westbaystars: We're going against Daiei next and they're strong.
17:39 westbaystars: I'll (we'll) do my (our) best.
17:40 Martin: I think Cabrera should have been the hero.
17:40 westbaystars: So, it's now down to the best of five Second Stage tournament at Fukuoka Dome.
17:40 Martin: When is the first game?
17:40 westbaystars: Toyoda blew it for him.
17:40 westbaystars: October 6.
17:41 Martin: And for himself. Mo safe
17:41 westbaystars: Going to be hard for those of you in North America to tune in in the early mornings on a week day.
17:41 Allen: Are all the games at Fukuoka Dome in the next series?
17:41 Martin: sorry, No safe
17:41 westbaystars: It's 5:40 pm here now, and the game will be at 6:20, I think.
17:42 Martin: Yes
17:42 Martin: It's 10:46 here in Holland
17:42 westbaystars: The play-offset were setup so that the team that finished higher in the standings got all the home field advantage.
17:43 Allen: Yeah. 2:20 AM on a work day is tough. I'll have to read the transcription or catch the very end before I go to work
17:44 mijow: Well I hope they don't ignore kansai again and put the next series on TV here.
17:45 Allen: Michael, I have a suggestion. Why don't you put the announcements about the games you are doing on the home page?
17:45 westbaystars: Where, exactly?
17:46 westbaystars: I put them in the News section in the morning after I know *if* they'll be broadcast or not.
17:46 westbaystars: That's the problem. I don't know if they'll even be aired.
17:47 Allen: Maybe in a box toward the top. We loyal followers know their in the news section - I'm not sure the others know it;s th
17:47 westbaystars: Oh, and I just realized, the 6th is a Wednesday.
17:47 westbaystars: I don't get home in time from work on Wednesdays to do it.
17:48 westbaystars: One of those time when real life gets in the way. Sorry.
17:49 Allen: Well, we appreciate the games you are able to do. It's a lot of fun to follow.
17:50 Martin: Is there a way to watch the game on the net?
17:50 Martin: I know that you can listen to tha radio on the Hawks site.
17:50 Allen: Each game you are able to do is a bonus
17:51 westbaystars: I can set up the chat room. If someone has access to the game (like via Squint Vision), then that would be something.
17:51 Martin: What is Squint Vision
17:51 westbaystars: For all other post season games, though, I do plan on covering them.
17:52 westbaystars: What I think Basebill-san called the Yahoo Lions' broadcast.
17:52 westbaystars: Bookmark this page: http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/stream/baseball/pl/16/seibulions/motion/
17:53 Martin: That site only show the home games of the Lions.
17:53 Allen: Michael, thanks very much. This was a great game to follow. Hope to join you live again for the playoffs.
17:54 Allen: IF not , I always read the transcripts
17:54 westbaystars: Only home Lions' games was what I was afraid of.
17:55 Martin: I'm going to enjoy the rest of my Sunday. See you next time.
17:55 westbaystars: OK. That's it for today, then.
17:55 Allen: Martin, Mijow, and Michael have a great week. Good night.
17:56 westbaystars: I'll definately be back on Thursday JST.
17:56 westbaystars: It was nice having you all through the whole game.
17:56 westbaystars: Take care, all.
[ Author: nok_africa | Posted: Oct 3, 2004 6:18 PM ]

I'm not sure if you are familier with this page or not, but here is URL for Live Streaming Video of Seibu Lions administrated by Seibu Lions Official website: [Link]

This page is always free and covers not all games, but most. Of course you can watch all playoff games of the Seibu Lions!

Enjoy it all NPB fans!

Thank you.
Lions' Broadcasts
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 3, 2004 9:08 PM | YBS Fan ]

Are you sure the playoffs are available? The scoreboard states "This season's Internet broadcasts have all been completed."
Re: Fighters
[ Author: LUCKY 7 | Posted: Oct 5, 2004 7:10 AM | HT Fan ]

Aw, I missed it all, but I can see the finals.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.