Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin's Lin Gets First Cup of Coffee

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hanshin's Lin Gets First Cup of Coffee
I was at Hiroshi Yagi's "retirement game" at Koshien last night and was pleasantly surprised to see Hanshin's Taiwanese slugger Wei-Tzu Lin make a brief appearance at the plate.

In the top of the 6th, Lin cracked the first pitch from the Giants' Sanada to centre field. Unfortunately he got hold of it too well and it went straight to the fielder, and it was goodnight to Lin.

Still, many Hanshin fans have been looking forward to seeing Lin in action, and there are hopes that he can add some much needed power to the Tigers' batting order next season.
Comments
Re: Hanshin's Lin Gets First Cup of Coffee
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 11, 2004 7:56 PM | HAN Fan ]

Lin is back in the side today (October 11) in the outfield.
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Oct 11, 2004 10:58 PM ]

Yeah, he banged one off the wall in his first at bat tonight to drive in two runs. A couple of others he hit hard, but again, they went straight down the fielders' throats. From what I've seen though, he sure has power!
[ Author: WayneMcGwire | Posted: Oct 16, 2004 3:09 PM ]

Lin, that guy who didn't appear too many times during the Olympics? You said he is Taiwanese "Slugger." Oh, sounds great, but is there a slugger from Taiwan? The chief coach, Sheng-Ming Hsu, just let him play designated hitter a very few times. Strange huh?

I just heard about that today after you said it, even though I am in Taiwan. So you can understand how unbalanced the media is here between NPB and MLB, even 3A. I think the related report percentage is 1:100 for Lin against Chen (Dodgers 3A).
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Oct 19, 2004 12:49 PM ]

Lin's going to be a solid player, but he's no slugger. He hit two home runs in 98 at bats down in the minors, which is not bad compared to most of the prospects down there (which doesn't say much about many of the Japanese prospects).

Japanese teams don't do a very good job of letting their young players play. Lin only played 62 games. A player his age should play about 120. There are just too many players down in the minors and not enough roster room.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.