Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rakuten Eagles are Born

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Rakuten Eagles are Born
At the owners' meeting this afternoon (November 2, 2004), Rakuten was accepted as the new team in the Pacific League for next year. Nikkan Sports has the news here [in Japanese].

Of course, this was expected. And the reasoning is sound, with nothing to do with Livedoor's president. The final arguement comes down to, if the team is 40-oku yen in the red, that represents 27% of Rakuten's income and 80% of Livedoor's. Which can handle the red ink better?

Furthermore, Hanshin's Kuma-owner, in his last act as the Tiger's top executive in the meeting the day before, let slip "It would be fine if (the dropped team) gets in at the next chance. Compared to me, he's still young, young. A spirited 31 year old." Well, Livedoor's Horie-president happened to turn 32 last Saturday (October 30). Oops.

Anyway, while I was rooting for the underdog, I agree with the owners' decision, and would have selected Rakuten as well based on the information I've read.

Congratulations Rakuten for the birth of your new Eagles. And I look forward to seeing the Livedoor Pheonix rising from the ashes in the near future.
Comments
Re: Rakuten Eagles are Born
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Nov 3, 2004 12:01 AM ]

I guess this means a 2005 schedule isn't too far away? Anyone know of a release date?

How about renovations on the stadium at Sendai? What a dump! Do they still have the names of players painted on the scoreboard? Last time I saw they did. Hardly professional stuff!
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 3, 2004 12:56 AM ]

Is Kakefu or someone else the manager?

Jim Albright
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 3, 2004 11:52 AM | HT Fan ]

Rakuten couldn't work out a contract with Kakefu, so they turned to Yasushi Tao as manager.
[ Author: Guest: rhdorsey | Posted: Nov 3, 2004 1:29 PM ]

Has it been decided what their home city will be?
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Nov 3, 2004 10:32 PM | YAK Fan ]

Well I'm glad to see that a team has finally been awarded, although I, too, was rooting for Livedoor. Mr. Horie seemed to have more enthusiasm for the game itself. Let us not forget that if it weren't for him, and Atsuya Furuta, we might not have even seen a Nippon Series, or possibly even the upcoming MLB-NPB series. Maybe someday NPB will expand more teams and Horie will answer the call? Okay, I can dream can't I. Japan probably doesn't have the market to support 4 more pro teams to make an even schedule.

Anyways, although there's probably no way for me to do it, I'd like to personally thank Mr. Horie for stepping up to the plate during the right time to help save baseball in Japan. He showed a lot of class after he was informed his competitor would be allowed into NPB. I hope the people of Sendai realize just how important he was to them, and I hope they won't forget him. Hopefully he'll even show up at a couple of the Eagles' home games?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 4, 2004 12:48 PM | HAN Fan ]

Given what Kuma-san said, if Horie-san persists he could probably join in a year or two. I personally hope he does persist.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Nov 4, 2004 4:36 PM | YAK Fan ]

The Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles already have a web site up and operating. For those of you that read Japanese, you can check it out here.
[ Author: LUCKY 7 | Posted: Nov 4, 2004 9:02 PM | HT Fan ]

Oh well, what does their logo look like?
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Nov 9, 2004 12:21 AM | HNHF Fan ]

I know that the former manager of the Yokohama BayStars, Yamashita, was named to be the Rakuten Eagles' batting coach.

[From Admin: I thought he was named head-coach, but I may be wrong.]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.