Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Seibu For Sale

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Seibu For Sale
Today's (November 7, 2004) front page headline reads "Seibu for Sale for 200-oku Yen: Livedoor Refused."

Yes, the Seibu Lions, bought in the fall of 1978 from Crown Lighter and built into a team that has won 15 league championships and the Nippon Series 9 times since then is up for sale. But making a championship team isn't enough to draw a crowd to Tokorozawa. For example, Daiei is able to draw over 300-man customers a year win or lose, but Seibu has yet to break the 200-man barrier.

Not only is the 200-oku yen price tag out of Livedoor's price range, but it's 100-oku yen more than Daiei and comes with Seibu Dome and a condition that the team must continue to use Seibu Dome as its home. Unless the team can move to a busy hub (like Ohmiya if it stays in Saitama), I don't see how a team can be profitable. The location prevents attracting a crowd, as I've mentioned a number of times before.

CS satalite TV provider Sky Perfect Communications has expressed interest in buying a team, as has TV Asahi.

After all the aborted attempts at destroying the Pacific League during the season, it appears to be their destiny nonetheless. If Daiei (to SoftBank) and Seibu are both sold this off season, that will leave Lotte and Nippon Ham as the only two untouched teams in 2005, two teams that saw tremendous growth in customers in 2004.
Comments
Re: Seibu For Sale
[ Author: Guest: steve | Posted: Nov 7, 2004 5:11 PM ]

Seibu owns the Dome. Would the amusement park be part of the sale as well? The asking price is high, but that stadium is a nightmare to get to and come back from. Omiya or Urawa would be pretty good places for them to put a team (both J-League teams draw pretty well, I think - especially URAWA).

What's the count now? 3 owner resignations, 1 merger, 2 possible sales, and an expansion team - amazing.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 8, 2004 7:57 AM | HAN Fan ]

If I were a prospective buyer I would be looking very hard at the figures - especially attendance figures. Even with the habit in Japan of owning a baseball team for PR purposes this is not a good deal. I would certainly look at off-loading the stadium and moving the team or buying the team without the stadium. Given why Seibu are selling the team they are not in a strong position to insist on their conditions.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 9, 2004 11:25 AM | HAN Fan ]

Kokudo has put the sale of the Lions on hold. They were unable to generate any interest at the price they wanted.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 10, 2004 11:31 AM ]

The Usen Corporation, an broadband Internet service provider, is considering on whether to buy the Seibu Lions. [Link JapanBall.com]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 1, 2005 7:29 AM ]

Seibu sold the naming rights of their minor league team to Invoice, and Invoice president Ikuo Kimura said that Invoice is hoping to gain the naming rights of the Seibu Dome in the future. [Link - Daily Yomiuri]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.