Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Giants Sign Red Sox Hitter

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Giants Sign Red Sox Hitter
I just read on the Yomiuri Japanese web site that the Tokyo Giants have acquired Gabe Kapler of the Boston Red Sox. Here are his stats from Baseball Reference. According to the Japanese article, from Yomiuri Shimbun, his contract is for 1 year at 260 million yen.

Does this mean the Giants have officially given up on trying to re-sign Petagine?
Comments
Re: Giants Sign Red Sox Hitter
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 23, 2004 5:05 AM ]

If this is true, it looks like the Giants have given up on Petagine. It was known that the Giants wanted to cut Petagine's salary.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 23, 2004 5:11 AM ]

It's reported that Kapler signed a 1 year contract worth a reported $2,000,000. Kapler said he is excited to go to Japan and eager to show his "energetic" playing style. He also said he wants to win a championship in Japan, too. [Link - Boston Dirt Dogs]
[ Author: Guest: joe kalesnik | Posted: Nov 24, 2004 3:21 AM ]

It seems he had his sights on playing in NPB since end of August 2004. Going to the Giants is like going to Yankees in MLB. I am surprise the Giants gave him that much $$$$. I think he is a journeyman ball player.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 25, 2004 6:08 AM ]

Gabe is a very good player, and you're hearing that from a Yankee fan. And since I root for the Giants in NPB, I'll get to root for Gabe. But for the big time, die-hard Giants' fans, you're getting a really good player.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 25, 2004 12:14 PM ]

I usually shy away from projecting guys who come from the States to Japan, mainly because they usually play even less than Kapler. Even so, it is clear he hasn't been a full time player recently, which probably doesn't help his performance. On the other hand, he's played a good deal at the major league level, so I'm willing to stick my neck out a bit on him. Remember, there are no park adjustments reflected in this.

If we base it on his last two seasons, and 515 at bats, we have the following:

150 hits
28 doubles
1 triple
17 homers
46 walks
.291 average
.349 on base percentage
.449 slugging percentage

If we base it on his career rates per 140 games, we get:

427 at bats
125 hits
26 doubles
2 triples
19 homers
47 walks
.293 average
.363 on base percentage
.496 slugging percentage

Those aren't Petagine numbers, but he might improve the defense enough to be close to as valuable.

In short, if Kapler adjusts to the Japanese way well and stays healthy, I'd say signing him is a positive move for the Giants. The overall plan of the Giants may or may not be as successful, but I think he's a potentially good piece of a plan for Yomiuri.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Nov 25, 2004 9:54 PM | YAK Fan ]

I've been reading lately reports about how Giants' manager Tsuneo Horiuchi is trying to make the Giants more speedy, and I think Kapler fits into that plan nicely. After all, you've gotta be quick to be able to play center field.
[ Author: buzzdaddie | Posted: Nov 27, 2004 8:06 AM ]

I have been a Gabe Kapler fan since 1998. He was supposed to be the future of the Detroit Tigers, and then got traded. I have been a Kap fan when he was with Detroit, Texas, Colorado, the Red Sox, and now the Giants! As long as he gets to play everyday, I am happy!

Too bad there isn't a Japanese baseball package for satellite TV.
[ Author: Guest: Fred Bluhm | Posted: Nov 27, 2004 10:42 PM ]

If, as reported, Kapler is signing for $2 million, then that may explain why he is willing to leave the Sox. Although a decent player, his contributions to Boston (and Texas beforehand) have been minimal at best. To leave the World Champions for a team in Japan (no disrespect - love Japanese baseball) must mean he wasn't figuring much in Boston's future plans. Frankly, I'm surprised he wasn't making more than $2 million a year by this time in his career.

[Irrelevant links removed.]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 28, 2004 7:42 AM ]

- If, as reported, Kapler is signing for $2 million, then that may explain why he is willing to leave the Sox.

It's been known that Kapler has wanted a starting job, which he wasn't going to get in Boston.

- Although a decent player, his contributions to Boston (and Texas beforehand) have been minimal at best.

It's probably safe to say that Kapler will bat .280 with about 20 HR's if he can adjust. Kapler has the ability to become a good player in the NPB.
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: Nov 27, 2004 5:39 PM | HT Fan ]

Kapler is a former Minor League Player Of The Year who never lived up to his enormous potential in the bigs. He's a rocked-up weight room rat whom the Giants - if they plan on Kap being a full time outfielder - can expect to be injured at least a quarter of the season.

I hope nothing but the best for Gabe (he is a former Tiger afterall), but $2 million seems like a lot for a guy who can't hit lefties. They aren't considering playing Kapler in center field are they?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.