Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

The Alex Ramirez Saga

Discussion in the NPB News forum
The Alex Ramirez Saga
Does anyone have any information on where Alex Ramirez will be playing next year? The sequence of events so far, to my knowledge, are:
  1. Yakult and Ramirez agree in principal to a 3 year contract in October. His son is also signed up and will play on the farm team.
  2. The two parties cannot agree on the terms of the new contract and it appears Ramirez may be heading elsewhere, with Rakuten saying they would stump up big money to secure his services.
The last I heard was that the chance of Alex re-signing for Yakult was back on the cards after a change of heart from one/both parties.

This whole situation mirrors the Petagine situation a couple of years ago. Except that whereas Petagine was a loner, Ramirez is a key member of the team, both on the field and in the clubhouse.

He is one of the faces of Yakult along with Furuta and Igarashi, and, in my opinion, he would be crazy to throw it all in to go to Sendai, just as Yakult would be crazy to let him go.

Let's hope this can be sorted sometime soon and that we'll see Alex at Jingu for seasons to come.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.