Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rhodes Hits 55!

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Rhodes Hits 55!
I just heared on the radio, getting ready for the Giants vs. Swallows broadcast, that Rhodes has done it! He's hit number 55!

More information as I get it.
Comments
Re: Rhodes Hits 55!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 24, 2001 6:53 PM | YBS Fan ]

OK. Record and game recap.

Down by two runs in the 5th inning with Matsuzaka on the mound for the Lions, Rhodes hit his 55th home run of the season to tie the Japan record set by Oh (currently manager of the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks) in 1964. From what I've heard (I haven't seen it, yet), all of the sell out crowd 48,000 fans knew it was gone from when it left the bat.

Kintetsu managed to tie the game in the 6th inning, but Seibu retook the lead in the 8th. Then, right after Kadokura strick out Cabrera with two down in the 9th, he gave up a home run to McClain to give the Lions a two run lead.

Matsuzaka was still in the game, having thrown 143 pitches going into the 9th. And he got a pitch up high to lead off batter Kitagawa who lined the ball over the fence to left for his 5th home run of the season. Ohmura grounded out to short for the first out, then Ichihara drew a walk to bring up Rhodes.

Rhodes was swinging big right from the start, but did managed to settle down after getting two strikes on him. In the end, though, he swung and missed a pitch well outside with the count full for the second out.

But, the excitment was just beginning. With no strikes and two balls, Nakamura swung and the 48,000 fans were once again on their feet! Nakamura put both arms in the air and watched the ball sail over the right field fence for a gyaku-ten sayonara home run! Kintetsu wins 7-6!

Matsuzaka is bent over on the mound in disbelief. The crowd is in an uproar as Nakamura's team mates go out to greet him at home plate for a good head pounding! Rhodes was one of the first to greet him after the torment with a big hug.

With the win, Kintetsu's magic number drops to 1. Both Nakamura and Rhodes said it in their hero interviews, "Zettai yusho suru yo!" ("We're definately going to win the pennant!")
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 26, 2001 11:11 AM ]

Wait, wait! Hold up!
[uh-whuh!]
Okay, now that I've properly jumped onto the Buffaloes Bandwagon...

All right! Way to go Tuffy! And way to go Kintetsu! I would love to see a Kansai team in the Nihon Series! As one would expect, on my regular MLB BBS, I've had to deal with people using Rhodes' accomplishment as evidence of the inferiority of NPB. The way I see it and the way I've argued it, Tuffy's more of a product of the Japanese leagues than he is an ex-major leaguer. I'm afraid that only a few Japanese will agree with me, but I hope the Japanese see Rhodes accomplishment as evidence of the good scouting and coaching of the Kintetsu batting staff rather than foreign invasion. And now I wonder... will Nori hit 50??? I wait in anticipation.

[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 27, 2001 8:20 PM ]

It's not hard to join the Buffaloe stampeed right now. The way they've won so many of their games lately - gyakuten sayonara by Nori to make it M1, then that daida gyakuten manrui sayonara by Kitagawa to clinch. Today's newspaper says that 40 of Kintetsu's 76 wins were gakyuten victories. It seems to me that my 'Stars came from behind a lot in 1998 when they took it all. That's exciting baseball.

On a side note, Kintetsu has the worst ERA, least stolen bases, and has given up more runs than any of the other 11 teams in Japan. That they've also scored more runs, on more home runs (205 of which 100 were hit by Rhodes (55) or Nakamura (45)) than any other team in Japan says a lot about their itemae dasen.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.