Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

BayStars sign Holtz

Discussion in the NPB News forum
BayStars sign Holtz
The Yokohama BayStars have signed pitcher Mike Holtz [Baseball Reference] to a 1 year contract worth $300,000 or about 37 million (3,700-man) yen with performance related incentives. Holtz is 16-19 with 3 saves in 350 major league games. [Link - Japan Ball]
Comments
Re: BayStars sign Holtz
[ Author: pigskins15 | Posted: Jan 20, 2005 9:25 PM | YBS Fan ]

Has Holtz ever played in the NPB? He is a minor leaguer. What's wrong with Yokohama's management?
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Jan 21, 2005 6:53 AM ]

Mike Holtz has never played in Japan, but has played in the Majors Leagues. He is a bit on the short side (about 5'10"), but he is a lefty, can still throw in the 90 mph range (144), and has very good off-speed pitches. He joins Kevin Witt, a left handed power hitter, and Marc Kroon, a right handed releiver who can throw in the mid to high 90's (148-156).

I believe Richard Seko , formerly of the Texas Rangers, is the person who is selecting the gaikokujin players for Yokohama. He did a good job bringing in Woods two years ago from Korea, we'll see how this group pans out.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jan 22, 2005 1:06 AM ]

Holtz played for Durham (Tampa Bay AAA) last year, but he was hurt and didn't play after May.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jan 23, 2005 11:17 PM ]

What's wrong with Yokohama's management? I've said this before, and I'll say it again - Yokohama likes to sign Caucasian players who usually can't play. I'm not saying that they're racist, and I know people are going to think I'm crazy, but you can look it up. They tend to sign more white players than any other team in Japan. And to top it off, the white players that they sign usually aren't productive (see Dave Doster, Lou Merloni, Steve Cox, Bill Selby, etc.).

Bobby Rose was a great player. Their black players like Glenn Braggs and Tyrone Woods have been great as well. But in the years between 1995-present, they've signed a lot more white players than black players. It could just be my imagination, but I think you'll find that this is true.
[ Author: Guest: Bill Wright | Posted: Jan 31, 2005 12:39 PM ]

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. And just to let you know, two of the foreign players they have this year are both black guys. So that statement just doesn't make sense. I don't think they recruit based on the color of their skin.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jan 31, 2005 9:17 PM ]

I never said that Yokohama recruits players based on the color of their skin. What I said was that they tend to sign more white players than black players. Judging by the number of white players that they've signed in the years 1995-present it seems to me that they prefer white players more than black or Latin players. But I never said that they only sign white players or that they sign players based on the color of their skin, and that's not to say that they don't sign black or Latin players because I know that they do.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Feb 1, 2005 10:58 PM ]

Actually, I think that the BayStars' new imports this season, Kevin Witt and Marc Kroon, are white.
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Feb 2, 2005 3:15 PM ]

For everyone's info, Kevin Witt is white, Kroon is at least part black.

I don't know every guy who has played for Yokohama since 1995. It does seem to me there are simply more white players playing high level professional baseball(AAA or MLB) than players of other races, and that is where Japanese clubs generally look for players. I'm not sure of the percentages, but I'm pretty sure of that.

It did appear to me, at least in your posting, that you felt Yokohama was intentionally signing caucasions over other races, and you were upset about it. At least that's how I read it.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Feb 2, 2005 8:15 PM ]

That's a great point. There was a story in USA Today, I think, last year in which it talked about how the number of African-American players in MLB has gone down considerably compared to the 1970s. 20-something percent of MLB players in the '70s were African-American while that number is down to something like 12% now.

Actually, I'm not upset about Yokohama's decisions. I just can't understand why they sign some of the players that they sign. It just seemed to me that every year around this time I'd see Yokohama with yet another new pair of non-productive (at least here in Japan) white infielders. It amazed me because other teams signed productive foreign imports and held onto them for a least 2 seasons, but Yokohama would generally release their foreign imports after 1 season (without giving their foreign players a fair shake, I thought).

I recall a light-hitting first baseman named Jon Zuber who they brought in a number of years back. He had never hit more than something like 15 HRs or so in one season in the minors in the U.S., yet Yokohama released him without giving him a full season because he "lacked power." It was ridiculous.
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 4:42 AM ]

I agree with your comments about Zuber. He hit over .300 with 3 or 4 HR and they apparently said he didn't have enough power. I'm not sure what they were expecting, he was always a guy in the States who hit .300 plus with a lot of doubles, but not many homers. I know Bill Selby and Lou Merloni were a couple of guys that were very solid AAA players before they came to the Japan, but the coaches may not have been patient enough to let them work through their adjustments at the plate. Greg La Rocca was hitting at or below .200 after 3 weeks or so in 2004, but his coaches were patient, left him in the third spot in the lineup, and look what happened. I'm not saying Selby or Merloni would have had the same great year like LaRocca did, but I doubt they had the same chance.

There are many factors in who a Japanese clubs signs or keeps. Many people are involved, and those peolpe are different from organization to organization. Some owners make the final call, for some clubs it is the field managers, and in others the choice is made by scouts. I know Joe Furakawa had something to do with bringing in Zuber, and he did just what should have been expected. Joe is a bright guy (played ball at Cal Berkeley), and he knows baseball. Perhaps it was bad decisions, but more likely it is a case of bad luck with some of the players.

When teams choose players to come to Japan, they only can know so much. It's difficult to know how a player will deal with adversity unless you coach or play with him. You can never predict how that player will adjust to the Japanese style of baseball, let alone the differences in Cultures. You see many players for many teams come over and you just know they will do well, then by mid-season they are in the ni-gun or back in the U.S. Then you see some guys who didn't seem to be such sure things and they do great. It's a tricky business and some teams just have better luck than others.

I hope Witt and Kroon both do well and you will be pleased with this year's crop of BayStar gaikokugin. I know Witt has been looked at by nearly every Japanese team over the last couple of years, and he has a chance to do well. How quickly he buys into the Japanese way and adjusts may determine just how successful he is. In the end, the person responsible for how the player plays is the player himself.

Take care!
OT: Schullstrom Up to Now?
[ Author: IloveJingu | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 1:01 PM ]

Erik:

What are you doing now? My sons and I enjoyed watching you play in Japan, but I've lost track of you.
Re: OT: Schullstrom Up to Now?
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 2:25 AM ]

I am now the Director of Scouting USA for the Hiroshima Carp. I am based in the States and cover every ML/AAA team in the US.
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 9:07 PM ]

FWIW, Holtz over the last two seasons in the minors (before he got hurt last year) had very solid peripherals, with over 10 K/9, 3:1 K/BB rate, and less than a hit per inning. He's still fairly young, and could very well be effective as a short reliever in Japan, as a setup-man to Sasaki.

Also, the BayStars' foriegn scouting director used to be Mr. Ushigome, one of the most knowledgable and most respected people in Japan when it comes to evaluating foriegn talent. Unfortunately, the front office didn't always see eye to eye with him, which is why he left. But when you think about the players he signed, be it Rose, Pozo, Merloni, Cox, or Mahomes, you have to admit that a lot of them were very solid signings, though some may not have panned out due to freak injuries (Cox), immaturity (Mahomes), or just plain lack of playing time (Merloni et al).
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 10:15 PM ]

Merloni sure did get hosed by the BayStars when it came to playing time. By going back to the majors and becoming a productive backup infielder, he has proven to them that they didn't use him properly.

I'm wondering about your comment about Pat Mahomes. Why did you cite his immaturity as the reason he didn't succeed in Japan? He seemed like he played hard and he actually pitched well sometimes. He even made it back to the majors after getting released by the BayStars.
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 2:27 AM ]

Pat Mahomes also pitched with bone spurs/bone chips in his elbow while he was in Yokohama.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 9:40 AM ]

Mahomes always had some issues about not playing enough in MLB and seemed to have a certain chronic frustration level. Perhaps, it continued in Japan and was viewed as immaturity. He wasn't a bad pitcher.
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 3:14 PM ]

Regarding Mahomes, I might've overstated the case a bit upon further review. I always saw him as an "unpolished" pitcher and for some reason I was under the impression that he was 3-4 years younger than he actually was. His subsequent performance with the Mets led me to believe, for whatever reason, that he was not yet in his prime when he was with the BayStars.

Whatever.
Black Americans in NPB
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Jun 18, 2005 3:47 AM ]

Here is an interesting article [KansasCity.com - free registration required] about the number of black Americans playing in MLB today. As someone who grew up watching MLB in the late 1970s and early '80s, it's surprising how few black Americans are playing in MLB now.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 9:37 AM ]

I don't think the Japanese management are racist either. They just sign mostly scrub gaijin major/minor leaguers of all colors and nationalities. Occasionally they get it right (Tuffy, Arais, Bass, Benny), but they really make some forgettable signings.

It must be tough recruiting a foreigner for NPB. If they were to go to other western hemisphere markets, the good Dominican Republic, Venezuelan, Puerto Rico, and Mexican players are scouted pretty well and hope for the bigger money in MLB. Then there is the cultural and family adjustment - finding the guy with the right make up to succeed, then finding the guy with talent. Then the teams want the big bat or the pitcher, both of which are in high demand in the U.S. Very tough.

It seems that they have to find the "AAAA" type player who has some talent, but hasn't been able to stick in the majors. Benny Agbayani was a good example of that. Raul Gonzales is another guy like that who I think is playing in NPB this year who is pretty good.

With the salary structure the way it is in Japan, it might be tough to put together an attractive enough financial package to entice a stronger player to come over. I'm thinking of a Jeromy Burnitz-type, who can hit a ton of jacks, but wasn't in terribly high demand who signed for $5 million with the Cubs. Don't know if he personally would be interested, but if he could have made $8 or $10 million in Japan, he'd think about the opportunity at the very least. Reggie Sanders is another pseudo-slugger journeyman who comes to mind. Todd Zeile might have considered it a few years ago for the adventure and the big pay day. Maybe a Jay Payton. It would take an open mind on the players' part, a good selling job by team management, and a strong financial package.

Perhaps management has to better profile and target some players in MLB who aren't necessarily thinking about playing NPB, but who could be sold on the advantages.

Just my two cents.
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 3:16 PM ]

Yeah, especially when you consider that someone who's a "Proven Major Leaguer" has the potential to make way more than his market value in the States (read:Tony Batista).
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Feb 5, 2005 2:42 PM ]

Batista is a very interesting signing. He could lead the league in homers this year. He could be a monster - or a bust. He's the kind of underachieving power hitter that seems to be able to do very well. I don't know his make up or work ethic, but the profile fits.
Batista
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 11:50 AM ]

The Hawks way over paid for Batista, but he could be a big addition for them. My recollection of Batista is that he is a classic mistake hitter and those kinds of hitters seem to do well in Japan (especially when you will have a chance to face Orix frequently). He's not going to (or shouldn't) get many fastballs, so he will need to stay back and crush hangers, a lot of which he should see after the All Star break, when Japanese pitchers start running out of gas. I wouldn't be suprised if he ends up at .270 with 35 or more homers, if he stays healthy.
Re: Batista
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 3:06 PM ]

Batista is a mistake hitter. The scouting reports say he is challenged by low and in and low and away. Good at anticipating what he will get.

I really think 35 homers is at the low end. The guy could do that in MLB. I project him at 45 homers and a .250 average. He could hit more. His fielding, by the way, is nothing special.

This is the kind of guy I was talking about earlier.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 8:48 PM ]

Batista, when he's on everything is right, though when he's in slumps, he overswings and strikes out. A season of .260 with 40-45 HR is what I'm predicting.
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 8, 2005 2:13 PM ]

- A season of .260 with 40-45 HR is what I'm predicting.

Sounds about right. But is that really worth $15 million over two years? Especially in a league where the highest team payroll is roughly the size of the Devil Rays?
Foreign Players
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 3:14 AM ]

It's hard getting a big name player from MLB to play in Japan no matter what the price is. After reading about some of the American players mentioned here, which ones of them were All Stars in the major leagues? I hear about how Rose and Rhodes were great signings. Both of them have had a great career in Japan, but were nothing special in the U.S. Do you really think Rhodes would average 50 homers a year in the States? If the scouts thought so, he would have been offered a big contract somewhere. Instead, he keeps signing in Japan because the money is much more than he would ever get in the Major Leagues.

As for Rose, another great player in Japan, but he never tested his ability in the U.S. after playing for Yokohama. I remember he tried a comeback in Japan a few years back. I am sure he wouldn't have put up the same numbers for a major league team as he did for the BayStars.

Minor leaguers are quick to sign in Japan because they will make a lot more money than they would in AA or AAA ball. I have met a lot of the BayStar gaijin players over the past 15 years, and they all know how much pressure is on them. As soon as they get into a slump, they might get released because of the high expectations on them. I could understand that if we were talking about a Barry Bonds or A Rod, but most of the signings are AA, AAA, or journey men MLB players.

As for the BayStars, they don't like giving a gaijin player a 2 year deal. Woods is a perfect example of that. He has had 2 good seasons for them and what's his status now? They would rather pay big money to Sasaki, who we all know was on the downslide in Seattle. That's the real reason he left Seattle!

When they signed Cox, they were trying to sell him as a home run hitter, which he's not and never was. Then when he came back off of an injury and wasn't producing like they wanted him to, his contract was bought out.
Re: Foreign Players
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 10:03 AM ]

Players such as Tuffy Rhodes and Alex Cabrera have an opportunity to start in the NPB, something they would never have gotten if they stayed in the majors. Plus, I don't really think Rhodes or Cabrera don't really have any desire to play in the majors.

- I could understand that if we were talking about a Barry Bonds or A Rod

I really don't think Bonds or Rodriguez would do very well in Japan at all. Both of their attitudes are very negative to have in a clubhouse, and Bonds' steroid problems are a problem no team should have to deal with.

- That's the real reason [Sasaki] left Seattle!

Sasaki left the Mariners to be closer to his family.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 4:48 PM ]

Mr. Brooks,

A little off the subject, but how do you know that Alex Rodriguez or Barry Bonds are negative attitudes to have in the clubhouse?
"Both of their attitudes are very negative to have in a clubhouse..." J.B.
Just had to ask.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 11, 2005 12:20 AM ]

Bonds got into a confrontation with his own teammate, Jeff Kent, a few years ago. Bonds dropped himself out of the MLBPA, and is just plain ingorant to the fans.

Rodriguez is the same player who started a fight with Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek.
OT: MLB Personalities
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Feb 12, 2005 5:24 AM ]

Bonds is prickly with the press and aloof in the clubhouse. Jeff Kent, on the other hand, is a total jerk. He had it coming. Bonds may not be a great clubhouse guy, but he's not a cancer either. Who cares about the MLBPA? They're rotten, too. I don't know what you mean about Bonds being "just plain ingorant (ignorant) to the fans" means. There are plenty of Bonds jerseys sold.

I don't recall the fight A-Rod had with Varitek, but if it was when he was with the Yankees, there was a hot pennant race going on, if you didn't notice. Overall, he's a class guy.

In summary, there are far bigger jerks in MLB than the two you mention, and in fact, I take exception to your categorization of A-Rod.

Neither will ever play in NPB, so no worries.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 2:31 AM ]

Rhodes is a hard one to project. Either he blossomed in Japan and would have in the U.S., or he got the opportunity to play everyday in Japan under the right conditions that he would not have gotten in the U.S.

It is true that he continues to play NPB because he wants to. He has no desire to play MLB, which is fine. At this point in his career, he is probably too old to return anyway, but a couple of years ago, he easily could have returned for bigger money and a successful career had he wanted to. A case in point is Cecil Fielder.

The statement on AA and AAA players signing onto NPB teams backs my assertion that many scrubs sign on for NPB.

It also seems that the gaijin players are kept on a sort of tripwire. If they slump, they are tossed. Is that the case with all NPB players? That doesn't make for a comfortable situation for any player, nor do the short term contracts. An initial one year deal is understandable, but when a player proves himself, he ought to be afforded the same security as other comparably performing players. Everyone wants a little job security. Maybe changes in this area might make NPB more attractive to foreign players?

Barry Bonds playing in Japan in the future would be a real life version of "Mr. Baseball." It will never happen.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 11:39 PM | HT Fan ]

- It also seems that the gaijin players are kept on a sort of tripwire. If they slump, they are tossed. Is that the case with all NPB players? That doesn't make for a comfortable situation for any player...

I would say many gaijin workers in Japan face this sort of situation, not only baseball players.
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 7:08 PM ]

- When they signed Cox, they were trying to sell him as a home run hitter, which he's not and never was

If you have a first baseman who slugged .588 at AAA with 25 HRs in 134 games, is it really so unreasonable to expect him to do just as well or even better in Japan? Granted, he wasn't a bona fide power threat in TB, but still, he managed to hit 16 HRs the year before he came to Japan. It's not like they were asking for 40 HRs from Luis Castillo, you know.

IMO, most of the players that have success in Japan could have been something in the States as well; they just didn't get that chance. Seguignol would've been a million times better than Tony Clark last year, there were plenty of people clamoring for the Mets to bring up Petagine, and Rhodes was always known as a power hitter who just couldn't put it all together (he did hit 3 homers on opening day when he was with the Cubs).

Take Alex Cabrera, for instance. He was slugging .986(!) in AA (and .526 in AAA) when the D-Backs called him up. He got a measly 80 at-bats to show his power, which he couldn't. So what kind of second chance does he get? None, because Arizona goes for the proven veteran and signs Mark Grace. If Garagiola had more insight (which, I guess, is too much to ask), they would've played Cabrera, got 40 HRs and a .260 average, and Cabrera would've gone on to be a leading power hitter until the steroid scandal caught up with him.

- As for the BayStars, they don't like giving a gaijin player a 2 year deal

They don't give anybody multi-year deals except their very best players.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.