Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tanishige goes for Dragons

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Tanishige goes for Dragons
Yokohama's main catcher for the last 9 years (with quite a bit of playing time each year in all of his 13 year career) has made up his mind: He's moving to Nagoya.

Yokohama's offer was 1-oku yen less than Chunichi's - both for four years, and they really made him feel that he was needed. As of the middle of last week, Tanishige had decided to go with either Chunichi or the Majors.

Tanishige did get three offers from Major League teams, and the press seemed to think that San Diego had the best shot of signing Sasaki's former catcher. However, with the reduction of two teams in North America, a possible lock out to start the season, and other problems, Tanishige the family-man felt that the risk of heading over this off season was too great.

Personally, I was hoping he'd join Shinjo in San Francisco, but... Ah, it's getting to be harder to watch my BayStars go against Chunichi now - now that they have Tanishige and Haru, both of whom I really like. I guess the age of ball players (and managers) volunarilly swapping loyalties has finally reached Japan.

On the bright side, Aikawa will finally get a real chance to play every day. And it seems to me that he has done pretty well as the substitute catcher during the few short instances while 'Shige was out these past couple of years.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.