Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nohmi fails to pull it off

Discussion in the Tiger Tails forum
Nohmi fails to pull it off
Today (7th March) Rakuten v Tigers. This defeat could be said to be due to one pitcher. Actually I quite like the guy and he can pitch superbly (I remember when he came on as relief against Lotte in a bases loaded no outs situation and exited with no runs being scored). However, today he was very ordinary and snatched an ignominious defeat from the jaws of a comfortable victory. Enough of this - the starting lineups were

1. Akahoshi (Centre)
2. Hirano (Second)
3. Ford (Right)
4. Arai (First)
5. Imaoka (Third)
6. Toritani (Short)
7. Hiyama (DH)
8. Noguchi (Catcher)
9. Shoda (Left)
Starting pitcher was Iwata

For Rakuten
1. N Watanabe (Short)
2. Takasu (Second)
3. Kusano (DH)
4. Fernandez (First)
5. Ohiro (Third)
6. Rick (Left)
7. Teppi (Right)
8. Shima (Catcher)
9. Hijirisawa (Centre)
Starting pitcher was Tanaka

Iwata started nicely but then deteriorated and rode his luck. Tanaka was nice for three innings and then got tired. Iwata's first innings was good then he gave away hits in the second and third coupled with walks meant he had to get out of first and second situations. Tanaka gave away one hit in the first three innings with no walks - very nice pitching.

In the fourth Iwata's luck ran out - Ohiro reached first on a foul ball and then second on a pass ball. He made third on a hit and then got home on a Teppi sacrifice fly 1-0 to Rakuten. However, Tigers responded immediately, Hirano hit but was thrown out trying to do too much on a wild pitch. However, Ford also hit and then Arai slammed a home run to put Tigers up 2-1.

This situation continued into the fifth when Nohmi replaced Iwata. His first innings was OK and Tanaka was obviously tiring but still had enough to keep the score down. Nohmi though gave up two runs in the sixth. Kusano hit and the very next batter Fernandez hit a two base which left Rakuten with runners on second and third with no outs. One out later Rick hit a two base shot which drove both runners home 3-2 Rakuten. However, Nohmi had save the best (from Rakuten's point of view) for the seventh.

Nohmi gave up a two base hit to Takasu and then walked Shiokawa (replacement third). With bases 3 and 1 occupied he then gave up a home run to Ohiro (moved to first). 6-2 Rakuten. Rakuten's relief pitchers, Yoshizaki and K Watanabe kept Tigers scoreless and they even managed to add another run in the ninth off Ishikawa.

Tigers response in the ninth was two runs. A nice try but just not enough Fujimoto and Akahoshi drove in these two runs but the score still ended up 7-4 to Rakuten. Good points for the Tigers were Hirano - two at bats, two hits (why was he swapped?) and Arai. There are serious doubts about using Nohmi in the first team and really one must ask whether he is suited for the Tigers first team.
Comments
Re: Nohmi fails to pull it off
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Mar 9, 2008 6:59 PM | HT Fan ]

Good points for the Tigers were Hirano - two at bats, two hits (why was he swapped?)

Uh, possibly because this is still spring training?

Anyway I wouldn't place too much importance on one defeat. Do you have any idea how Nohmi looked on the mound? Did he look comfortable enough? What was his command like? Was he overthrowing? Could he have been trying out new pitches? Those are the sorts of things that are important at this stage in the year, not whether they win or not. IMHO.

But they're good summaries, Christopher - keep it up. I don't suppose you could add line scores? Those would really help.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 9, 2008 7:52 PM | HAN Fan ]

You're right about not placing too much on one defeat but Nohmi is not starting well. There is also his grand slam against Orix in February. So far he has given up 9 runs in two appearances. His three innings took 61 pitches which suggests some control problems. I am hoping he can overcome his problems because as I mentioned I like him as a pitcher.

With regard to line scores I'll see what I can do.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Mar 9, 2008 10:02 PM | HT Fan ]

Right - 61 pitches is not good, unless the player is able to work his way out of some jams, which would make the outing a useful one. In my view even giving up runs (or grand slams) is not bad in itself, however frustrating it is for the fans. The idea is to concentrate on getting ready for the season and work out why the runs were given up. Anyway, I'm not going to say any more, except to wish Nohmi all the best in preparing for the season. The people at Osaka Gas are all rooting for him.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 10, 2008 12:10 AM | YBS Fan ]

Didn't Kubota look awful in open-sen last season?

And I agree, the reason for the swap was most likely to see others get in the game. All the teams are playing like ni-gun games often go, with lots of substitutes just to give everyone a try in an actual game situation. I wouldn't read too much into it. Pick up a Daily Sports and check the box scores out for other teams. (It does cover other teams than the Tigers, right?) Except for Lotte, pretty much all of the teams have a minimum of 15 players in the lineups - not counting pitchers.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 10, 2008 6:55 PM | HAN Fan ]

I was actually thinking if a player is hot why not let him run?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.