Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Mayumi is appointed

Discussion in the Tiger Tails forum
Mayumi is appointed
In an unsurprising move Akinobu Mayumi was appointed as the new kantoku for the Tigers. He was the heavily favoured candidate and will take over from this point. He played sixteen years with Tigers before leg injuries forced him out of the game. His only coaching experience was with Kintetsu Buffaloes so he is an unknown quantity. It is highly likely that Tigers coaching staff will change quite drastically as Mayumi installs his own people.
Comments
Re: Mayumi is appointed
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 24, 2008 9:44 PM ]

So any predictions for next year Christopher? A bit early, but I'm ready to forget this year!
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 25, 2008 10:23 AM | HAN Fan ]

As I mentioned - Mayumi is an unknown quantity. Interestingly I was chatting with a very knowledgeable friend of mine yesterday and his comment was 'Why did they pick Mayumi?'. He couldn't understand the decision at all. It's impossible to say how he'll do and where Tigers will finish. It's also going to depend on the free agents they pick up.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 25, 2008 5:28 PM ]

Well, I picked us for third this year and we got second. And of course we should have finished first. So I'll try to give us luck by being pessimistic again.
Sometimes it takes time to adjust to a new manager, sometimes a team starts hot with a new change. I can't say how Mayuymi will do yet either. Of course he's popular with the fans because of his playing days, but that doesn't mean he'll be a great manager too. Anyway, hopefully an improvement, but may take time.
[ Author: Guest: N 26 | Posted: Oct 27, 2008 5:16 PM ]

I saw that he recently had his press conference but has he decided his coaches yet?

[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 27, 2008 8:08 PM | HAN Fan ]

Not yet - he apparently is considering other coaches than Okada's team. He will take up his post on Wednesday and will wear No. 72.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.