Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tigers new slogan

Discussion in the Tiger Tails forum
Tigers new slogan
A new manager means a new slogan of course. Okada did retain Hoshino's 'Never, never, never surrender' for the 2004 season but then switched to something forgetable before finaly settling on 'Be the Best for the Fans' in 2006 which at least acknowledged the latter's importance. So what has Mayumi come up with.

'Focus on this play, this moment!!'

It doesn't exactly inspire you and I'm unsure what exactly it means. I can think of two possible meanings but it strikes me as overlong and sounds like it's escaped from a bad romantic song.

'Focus on the victory' would be better and more relevant. Something like 'Destroy the Giants' would be nearer the fans hearts and probably be very popular with every other baseball fan in Japan (barring Giants fans). But I don't think we'll be seeing anything exciting soon. By the way the slogan for my oendan (they had to have one in English as well) was Passion! Joy! Beer! - at least it was to the point.
Comments
Re: Tigers new slogan
[ Author: Guest: Pat | Posted: Feb 9, 2009 4:18 PM ]

Escaped from a bad romantic song? What meaning of "play" were you thinking of? (wink wink)

I agree that it's uninspiring. Makes sense, though, unlike that "Hit foot get" that some team or other created a few years ago. I mean, it sounds like the sort of advice a little league coach might pass on to his charges, but as a team slogan, yep, it sure sucks.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 9, 2009 7:34 PM | HAN Fan ]

> Escaped from a bad romantic song? What meaning of
> "play" were you thinking of? (wink wink)

Exactly - you understand perfectly!
[ Author: Guest: Pat | Posted: Feb 12, 2009 10:17 PM ]

Although any romantic song with that sort of language would have to be especially bad, don't you think?

Reminds me of the Australian male's idea of foreplay: "You awake?"

[Edited by: Christopher on Feb 13, 2009 8:37 PM] I have come across romantic songs that bad.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.