Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Why do the Carp start Kura Every Game?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Why do the Carp start Kura Every Game?
I don't understand why a guy batting .150 is getting to play everyday. Am I missing something?
Comments
Re: Why do the Carp start Kura Every Game?
[ Author: Guest: Cardiff Carp | Posted: May 14, 2005 3:17 AM ]

To be fair, he is actually batting .159 (!), which compares favourably with Kapler, who started for Yomiuri Friday 13th and, again, no-hit, leaving him with an average of .147.

Actually I think that the problem may be injuries - the Carp only have one other catcher, Kimura, on the bench, and whilst his average this season is not bad, it was .146 last season, and I seem to remember people saying his catching skills were not that good. Perhaps Kura is a fantastic catcher?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 17, 2005 4:33 PM ]

The Carp have no other catcher that could start now. Kura is very strong defensively, although he may not be a great hitter. He helps the Carp behind the plate. Ishihara is about to start playing ni-gun games and should be back soon. He is not much better as a hitter, and Kura is probably a better catcher.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 20, 2005 11:10 AM ]

Maybe we should also be asking why Nishiyama was the starting catcher for the previous 10 years or so. Brutal hitter with no power, and a terrible catcher (a double dip!). Kimura can hit a bit, but is poor behind the plate. I guess they feel Kura is the best they have.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.