Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Okada's Use of the Bullpen

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Okada's Use of the Bullpen
When Fujikawa is pitching lights out (current ERA of 1.11 on the year), why just use him for one inning? This year he's typically been brought in as first reliever, 6th or 7th inning. When he pitched so sharply tonight in the 7th I wonder why Okada didn't leave him in the game for at least one more inning.

It's like Okada has this set plan that can't be changed of Williams having to set up in the 8th and Kubota to close. I'm not Monday quarterbacking just because Williams (I'm actually a big fan of Williams) gave a couple up in the 8th, but I'd like to see Fujikawa stay in the game a little longer if he's on fire.

With all that aside, great game tonight with the lads up against Matsuzaka, and good to see some different faces bring about the win, namely, Hiyama and Sugiyama!
Comments
Re: Okada's Use of the Bullpen
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 21, 2005 2:08 PM | HAN Fan ]

Actually I think Okada's handling of the pitchers has been pretty good this year. He has learnt from last year and is pulling pitchers before they blow things. A much improved performance.
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: May 22, 2005 5:37 PM ]

He must have read my post! He left Nohmi in way too long, but later he kept Fujikawa in the game as he continued to pitch well. It was a masterstroke bringing in Hamanaka to pinch hit for Fujimoto when he did, breaking the game open for Hanshin.

Only midway through May the jury is still out on Okada, but while the Tigers are winning, ... Winning two out of three in Fukuoka surprised me, and hopefully we consolidate the top spot this week with a relatively easy schedule against Orix and Rakuten.
[ Author: Guest: sanshintigers | Posted: May 25, 2005 5:29 PM ]

Aaaarrrgh! How came we to lose to the Orix veggies? Arrrr! Let's hope the bats come to life tonight.
[ Author: sanshintigers | Posted: May 25, 2005 5:31 PM ]

Sorry I realized i had not signed in.

Yesterday we were snashin' Tigers, striking out in the big Muscat - grapes! Let's hope the bats pick up tonight for Igawa. He better win!
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: May 25, 2005 7:57 PM | SL Fan ]

Looking at the run differential, Hanshin seems to be the only Central League team that deserves first place. Okada must be doing something right. Not sure how Chunichi was in first, and Yakult is in second now. They must've both won many close games, which may continue all season, or maybe they're just lucky and their records will fall back to the norm expected by their Runs Scored and Runs Allowed. (Not that they're blazing right now with about a .530 winning percentage.)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.