Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Should a B-Class Team Make the Playoffs?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Should a B-Class Team Make the Playoffs?
If things stay the way they are this season, there's a possibility that the last Pacific League playoff spot might just go to a team that is under .500. I did a search on the Internet, but I couldn't find any statistics on how many teams under the .500 mark have made the playoffs in major sports. (To my knowledge it's never happened in MLB or the NFL.) Softbank and Lotte are both running pretty strong at the moment, and Orix, Nippon Ham, and Seibu are all pretty evenly matched as well, but none seem to be able to make it back above the .500 mark.

Do you think that a requirement to make the playoffs should be a record of .500 or better, or to be an A-class team?
Comments
Re: Should a B-Class Team Make the Playoffs?
[ Author: Number_65 | Posted: Jul 1, 2005 5:52 AM ]

I think this shows how good the teams are in this league. To constantly beat up on each other is a good sign of quality competition.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 1, 2005 9:18 AM ]

- (To my knowledge it's never happened in MLB or the NFL.)

Only once has a below .500 team made the playoffs in MLB, the strike-shortened 1981. The Royals were 50-53 in 1981. In a full regular season, however, no team has made the playoffs with a below .500 record. [Baseball-Reference]
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Jul 1, 2005 9:34 AM | TYS Fan ]

When you have half the league make the playoffs, you'll probably wind up with quite a few sub-.500 teams in. I think this is yet another reason not to have playoffs - make the regular season count by having the top team go straight to the Japan Series.

In regards to MLB, it almost happened in 1994, when the 52-62 Rangers were leading the AL West when the strike ended the year.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Jul 1, 2005 8:57 PM | FSH Fan ]

The solution to this is as easy as just having the top two teams in the playoffs. It's rather confusing why they put such an emphasis on A-class and B-class teams; I doubt that they go into the season wanting to be the third-best team in the league.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jul 1, 2005 8:58 PM | HT Fan ]

I agree that it's ridiculous to have half the teams in the playoffs, but I do think playoffs are sorely needed in NPB. Why not just the top two in each league?

The real problem with the current setup, of course, is that the CL and PL follow different rules. I'd like to see them both agree on some simple playoff system and then stick to it.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.