Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Player Disappointments

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Japanese Player Disappointments
With the disappointing play of Taguchi ,Nomura, and Komiyama, do you think their faliure to play to there potential will effect some of the other Japanese players' aspriations to play in the Majors? And do you think these players will not be welcomed back to Japan much like Hideki Irabu? :-D
Comments
Re: Japanese Player Disappointments
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Aug 17, 2002 9:17 PM ]

Disappointment is a relative term. Nomura was a so-so reliever in Japan, and remained so in MLB, only now he was on a bad team instead of the Giants. The only problem with Komiyama is that the Mets insist on using him in the bullpen instead of as a starter. As for Taguchi, well, I thought he would be a fourth outfielder for the Cardinals, and thought he was a good pick-up as one, especially considering his bargain basement price. He still may be one next year. It doesn't look like he could make the adjustment this year, and the Cards made the point moot when they traded for Scott Rolen, freeing Albert Pujols to play left.

But are these players' performances going to affect other players' aspirations? Hardly at all, I think, and certainly much less than a possible strike would. There have been a number of average players who have gone to MLB and not done particularly well: Takashi Kashiwada, Irabu, and Masao Kida come to mind. Shigetoshi Hasegawa was a starter in Japan, and was signed as a starter at Anaheim before he was converted into a reliever. I imagine he only stayed and continued to work at it because he wanted to live in America. Yet none of the "disappointing" performances of these players affected the desire of other players to go over. There's been at least one Japanese player signing every year since 1997.

Those top level players who truly wish to ply their trade at the highest level in the world will continue to go because they'll be sure they can make the transition. (That's not to say that just any star player is going to want to go.) The mid-level players, like Shinjo, Taguchi, and Nomura are going to continue to come over because they may feel confident that they can continue to be average over in MLB, and may be willing to take a cut in pay in order to get some of the other benefits of a Major League life (a bit less regimented life, charter airflight, clubhouse attendants who pack everything up for them).

Any player who considers going over to the Majors is going to be competitive enough in the first place that they won't consider the failure of mediocre players to make the transition. Kashiwada and Kida may not have made the transition, but Hasegawa is recognized as a top middle reliever, and Tomo Ohka is putting together a fine MLB career after doing next to nothing in NPB. Position players will tend to ignore Taguchi and look at Shinjo. If nothing else, their competitive natures will lead them to think, "I'm different. I'll make it."

As for players coming back to Japan, the only one who would not be welcomed is Irabu. I think even Nomo would be welcomed back to Japan. Kida tried his hand at the majors, and came back to pitch for the BlueWave. Kashiwada returned to the Giants with no real problem. Yoshii certainly would have been able to come back if he'd wanted to last year. Taguchi will have no problems finding a job in Japan. I don't Komiyama will be coming back, and I don't think he'd even have to consider it if the Mets would wise up and start him instead of Steve Trachsel.
[ Author: prmsNJ | Posted: Aug 26, 2002 7:06 PM ]

Well, Nomura had been struggling in Japan as well. He was traveling back and forth
from the farm in his last season in NPB. Nomura might have been fired from the
Giants as well if he had remained in Japan. He has appearance in Japan Series around in
1997, but those were his peak days.
[ Author: Guest: Mike | Posted: Aug 26, 2002 9:39 AM ]

Kaz Ishii sure has been a huge disappointment in the second half of the season. He was 10-1 with a 3 something era the first half and in the second half so far is 3-7 with a 5 something era. Considering he was considered Japan's best pitcher, it makes me wonder if MLB teams will forgo the big contracts with future star Japanese pitching prospects.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.