Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Early '90s Gaijin

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Early '90s Gaijin
Does anyone know about the careers of OZZIE CANSECO (Buffaloes), R.J RENOLDS(Whales) ROD ALLEN (Carp), and JOHNNY RAY (Yakult)? They are not listed in the players section, I came across them wile I was organizing my baseball card collection.
Comments
Re: Early '90s Gaijin
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 18, 2002 9:23 PM | YBS Fan ]

Sorry, my database only goes back to 1996. I started it in 1995, but overwrote it the next year. (I learned my lesson there.)

NPB-BIS used to have older information on a lot of the foreign players, but that didn't survive their remodelling this season.

I plan on buying the Encyclopedia this coming off season (when I believe the next release is). I hope to be able to better answer these questions next season. (I know, not much consolation now.)

If you can read and type Japanese, there's always Google.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Sep 19, 2002 3:45 PM ]

With the exception of Ozzie Canseco (did he ever play a game at the big club level with Kintetsu?), you can find info in Japanese about all those players at:

http://www.lint.ne.jp/~lucky
Early '90s Gaijin
[ Author: Guest: LiarXAgerate | Posted: Sep 21, 2002 7:12 AM ]

You probably have this already, but here are his career MLB stats. Just a cup of coffee here and there over 3 years.
[ Author: mike_edwards | Posted: Sep 27, 2002 5:00 PM ]

Who do you guys think had the best combo of foreign everyday players, say, in the first half of the decade? My own memory is a little fuzzy, but I remember Jim Paciorek and "Ponce" forming a nice duo for the Taiyo Whales. Ralph Bryant and Jim Traber were a nice power combination for the Buffs (got to see them at Seibu... believe the Lions won 9-8, even with Traber's grand slam... great game, great seats, no stupid dome... also saw Bryant's "nintei" home run at the Tokyo Dome, the one where he hit the speaker... but I digress). Tom O'Malley was a great hitter here, but I can't say the same for Hensley Meulens. Did Rex Hudler and O'Malley play together?

The Giants, on the other hand, after Cro (and until Maru-chan), seem to have strung together a number of foreigners (one at a time) who all underachieved (Jesse Barfield, Shane Mack, Henry Cotto). This year they're doing it with no foreigners starting for them. Think they're trying to protect the "integrity" of Japanese baseball? I know they have foreign pitchers, but nobody they really depend on at all. I wonder why they even bother...

OH YEAH... anyone else heard the rumor that Nakamura, the third sacker for Kintetsu, will join the Giants as a free agent next year? If Matsui does go to the States they'll need Nori's bat. If Hideki stays, then Etoh will see less playing time, plus they have insurance against Kiyohara's annual 3-month injury-triggered sabbatical...
[ Author: yakult toughman | Posted: Sep 28, 2002 4:44 AM | YAK Fan ]

O'Malley and Hudler were team mates when they played for the Expos in 1988. The Giants do not even need to get a non-Japanese position player. Paciorek and Ponce formed a nice duo for the Whales in the late 1980's (circa '88-'89). Larry Sheets did a nice job for '92 Whales.
[ Author: Guest: John | Posted: Oct 3, 2002 9:23 AM ]

Rod Allen currently does television commentary
for all the Arizona Diamondbacks broadcasts
in the Phoenix area. He makes frequent reference
to his ball playing days in Japan.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2002 10:46 PM ]

I was going to mention the same thing because it's kind of ironic that the D-backs have both Rod Allen and Jim Traber doing color commentary on their telecasts. Traber also talks frequently about his experience in Japan.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.