Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Brian Sikorski

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Brian Sikorski
Brian is a real good, close friend, great person, and I have had the opportunity to work with him in the off-season. I taught him a split-finger this past winter and try to follow him. If there is anybody that keeps close tabs on him, please respond. I see he's second in the league in pitching appearances, but, seeing as I coach in Independent baseball, I can't follow him closely. I catch him in the winter and he has nasty stuff, ie: good, sinking change-up and that splitter, and reaches back for about 88-91.

Thanks for the forum.
Comments
Re: Brian Sikorski
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 11, 2005 6:54 PM ]

Sikorski is 3 and 1 with 0 saves and a 3.30 ERA in 52 games. [Giants' 2005 Stats - Borisov's Pro Yakyu]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 16, 2005 2:29 AM ]

If your a really a close personal friend of Sikorsky, then I would hope that you relaize he throws harder than 88-91. For one, he has thrown that split-finger for more than this season, and it is a very effective pitch, consistently around 150 kph, which is around 93 mph.

Sikorski is the best reliever in the Central League. The Giants grossly misuse him. He should be the closer. He has shown that he is a proven go here that can get anybody out, and they choose to use him from anywhere from the second inning to the ninth. It's obvious that the Giants don't want their foreign players to shine more than their inferior Japanese players.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Aug 16, 2005 11:02 AM | SL Fan ]

Emotional misassessment of their vast talent pool is one reason for the Giants' failure - which I can't be happier about. :P
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Aug 19, 2005 2:20 AM ]

He is better than average, but Sikorski is far from the best releiver in the Central League.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 8:49 PM ]

Who is better? There isn't another guy in the Central League who has pitched as many games and as consistently as he has.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Aug 27, 2005 3:41 AM ]

O.K., well , let's see, Sikorski is not even the best releiver on his own team! That would be Hayashi. Off hand, other Central League relievers who are better are Egusa, Williams, Kubota, and Fujikawa of the Tigers, Kroon and Kawamura of Yokohama, Iwase and Okamoto of Chunichi, Swallows' Ishii and Bale, and Nagakawa of the Carp. There are a few more around the league who are just about as good, though. Sikorski pitches often and is pretty good, but clearly not the best.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 31, 2005 7:38 PM ]

Hayashi, are you kidding me? He has pitched less innings and has given up more home runs, walked more, and has no where near the velocity Sikorski has. Sikorski is by far the best reliever on the Giants and has been miss-used the last two years!
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:32 PM ]

- Sikorski is by far the best reliever on the Giants [...]

Sikorski is a great reliever, but again is no where near the best reliever, even on his team. That still goes to Hayashi. His ERA is 1.70 to Sikorski's 2.87, Hayashi has pitched in 45 innings (as it looks likes he's the Giants closer). [Giants 2005 Stats - Borisov's Pro Yakyu]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:27 AM ]

That's true. Pitching more games and throwing harder has nothing to do with who is better. Sikorski is pretty good, but if he was the best, he would be closing.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 1, 2005 4:11 AM ]

Hayashi. I guess you can say he is their closer, but should he be? Last night's game he got a save, yet he faced six batters, 3 got on base and one even scored. Sikorski has been used in almost 1/2 of the Giants' games and has shown his dominance. Look at walks to strikeout ratio, by far the best on his team.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Sep 3, 2005 10:43 PM ]

Sorry, but Sikorski gets shelled far too often to make a case for him to the best at anything. He also seems to have a habit of plunking batters and, in general, being overly emotional about pitching. He looks like a headcase.

Kroon is unhittable most of the time. As far as gaijin relievers over here go, he has got to be the best candidate for top reliever.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 4, 2005 3:38 AM ]

I agree, Kroon has been great. No doubting that fastball. Bale isn't bad either at 2-0 , 19 saves ,2.72 ERA, .219 Op-BA, and a whopping 12.35 K's per 9 innings. Both are studs.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 5, 2005 11:17 AM ]

He gets shelled so often and still maintains a low ERA. What do you mean his ERA is currently 3.07 and he has pitched more than almost any reliever in the league? As far as hitting guys, I like a guy who is not afraid to pitch inside. He seems like a fierce competitor who actually cares about what he is doing, unlike let's say a Miceli or a Kapler. Is it really that bad to be that way?

Kroon is very good, I must admit, but he is used properly, Sikorski isn't!
[ Author: Guest: Brenden Kudla | Posted: Nov 24, 2005 4:55 AM ]

I think that he is a good fit in Japanese Baseball, but is not in a good situation with the leauge. I know that he is a player that should be with a team like the Giants, Chiba, Buffalos, or Carp. I wonder why the Giants' new coaches got rid of him as he had a great year, too.

I guess that Brian and Tuffy Rhodes aren't wanted on the Giants. Tuffy had a few words with the Giants last year, but I think that he is worth it. Brian could be the go-to guy in the 7th and 8th inning of the game, but the Japanese don't see it. Brian is a great player, but why would they put him in the situation that he is in?

P.S. He was a good baby sitter. I'm only 12.
[ Author: Guest: Edward Zlotecki | Posted: Nov 25, 2005 8:02 AM ]

Hi Brian,

Miss You and your Grandma Izzy does also.

Love You.

Ed
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.