Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Lose to Win

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Lose to Win
What a stupid playoff system. I just read the explanation of the current (September 24) playoff situation on the Yahoo! Japan baseball page. Today, with their win over Softbank and the loss by Orix, Seibu has clinched 3rd place. But, if Softbank loses all three remaining games and Lotte wins all three (leaving the Hawks and Marines tied at the end of the regular season), then the first round of the playoff is skipped (Seibu is out of it) and we go straight to a 5 game series between the Hawks and the Marines. So, since Seibu plays the Hawks Sunday (September 25), they can guarantee that the tie doesn't happen by losing intentionally to Softbank.

Please change this insane system!
Comments
Re: Lose to Win
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 10:43 AM | HT Fan ]

Yes, it sure it sure is crazy. If they're going to have playoffs, it should just be between the top two teams. Of course, a better system, in my view, would to combine the two leagues, have three divisions with the top teams plus a wild card going through - just like in MLB.

Or a final five system like they used to have in the Australian rugby league when it was a 12-team competition. Maybe too complicated for baseball, but it was exciting and the relative advantage for each team reflected where they finished in the standings. I can explain it if anyone's interested.
Re: Lose to Win
[ Author: daijnj | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 1:57 PM | FSH Fan ]

Just thought of another senario. Under these conditions, if the Hawks decided they didn't want to take the chance of having to play Seibu (although not likely since their record against Lotte is worse than against Seibu), they also could be trying to lose the game, meaning both teams would be trying to lose.

I am watching it now and fortunately neither team seems to be playing to lose. However, I wonder how Lotte feels now, knowing that Seibu has no incentive other than pride to beat the Hawks.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.