Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rest vs. Action (Nihon Series)

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Rest vs. Action (Nihon Series)
My question is what do you think of the long period of time that Hanshin has off prior to game 1 of the Nihon Series? Is this an advantage or a disadvantage? Should NPB do something about this unusual scheduling?
Comments
Re: Rest vs. Action (Nihon Series)
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 10, 2005 12:01 AM | HT Fan ]

It's a good question.

I suppose it depends on how intense the schedule is for the PL team. Wrapping up a stage early (as the Marines did today) provides the winner with probably the best mix of activity and rest. I don't think Hanshin's extended period of inactivity will do them any good. I just hope they're playing some ultra-competitive split squad games between now and the Nippon Series, and not sipping cocktails down at the Ritz-Carlton. [Note: this is a lighthearted comment.]

But the Tigers will no doubt prove us all wrong again, whatever we decide on this thread!

Anyway, I've said this before, but the earlier the two leagues can agree on a standard playoff system, the better. Then they should stick to it, and not do a J-League and change it every year or so.
[ Author: KevvyG | Posted: Oct 13, 2005 11:46 PM | SL Fan ]

I really think competitive games win over rest. Look at Seibu last year. I'd be very surprised if Lotte doesn't win.
[ Author: sanshintigers | Posted: Oct 14, 2005 9:41 PM ]

Well, Chiba is just blowing by the Hawks so far. Even if this series goes five games, the winner will have a good mix of action and rest. I agree that's an advantage.

As for fixing the system, I like this idea (it's not mine - another poster suggested it): three divisions of four teams, the three winners and a wild card to form a playoff. That would mean dropping the Central and Pacific Leagues, but a worthy sacrifice I'm convinced.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 15, 2005 8:03 AM | HT Fan ]

- ...three divisions of four teams ...

I would favor that. But there'd be a lot of horse trading over which division each team would join. That would be the sticking point. I don't think they'd be able to agree! Although they could make it so the configuration could change from one season to the next.
NPB Divisions
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 17, 2005 10:24 AM ]

The division without the Giants or Tigers would raise a fuss.

Ideally the divisions would be geographical, with something like:

Metro - Giants, Swallows, Marines, Lions
East - Fighters, Eagles, BayStars, Dragons
West - Tigers, Buffaloes, Carp, Hawks

I would rather separate the Hawks and Tigers into different divisions, but it can't be done when it's geographic.

East still has the strong Dragons with good support. The BayStars would be interchangeable with other Metro teams.

Anyway, this makes too much sense. It'll never happen.
Re: NPB Divisions
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 17, 2005 2:32 PM ]

The only problem with that setup is the fact Hanshin and Yomiuri are in different divisions, which would never have a chance of happening. Hanshin-Yomiuri games are easily the most popular games in Japan, there is no way they be in two different divisions.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 15, 2005 8:15 AM | HT Fan ]

- I really think competitive games win over rest. Look at Seibu last year. I'd be very surprised if Lotte doesn't win.

But Hanshin is not Chunichi.

The last few seasons the Tigers have been quick off the blocks after spring training (usually after dropping the first game of the season). So I don't think the lack of match practice will affect them as much as it might other teams. My prediction is that they'll lose Game 1, and then win the next two. After that, who knows?
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: Oct 15, 2005 3:36 PM | CD Fan ]

- But Hanshin is not Chunichi.

Y'know that series was 4-3 right? And it wasn't because of rust. We ran out of live arms. Masa and Domingo couldn't go very long. Seibu also had two great pitching performances and some clutch hitting.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 15, 2005 4:32 PM | HT Fan ]

- Y'know that series was 4-3 right? And it wasn't because of rust.

Sure, it was a throwaway remark responding to KevvyG's post. To be honest, I didn't watch last year's Series that closely, and all I'm basically saying is that not all teams are the same. So just because the Pacific League team won last year (for whatever reason) doesn't mean that the same thing will happen this year.
[ Author: KevvyG | Posted: Oct 18, 2005 12:01 AM | SL Fan ]

I was lucky enough to attend 4 games during the series last year. Bad teacher is right about it not being down to rust on the Dragons' part. There was some unexpected great pitching from Ishii and a great team effort from the Lions.

Could you say, though, that this year the Hawks seemed a bit rusty at first and needed time to get their bats swinging in the series against Lotte? Probably the best player in Japan this year (Matsunaka) couldn't hit anything in the first few games. Could this be rust?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 18, 2005 11:37 AM | HAN Fan ]

Matsunaka had problems in last year's playoffs as well. He seems to choke in these situations.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 18, 2005 1:11 PM ]

Some players probably are better with rest vs. action, and vice versa. So, maybe it depends more on the make up of the team. As for team work, was there anything noticeable?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.