Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Off-season Baaaaaad

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Off-season Baaaaaad
OK. No more baseball till the Konami Cup hits Tokyo Dome (I'm so going!), and then it's the "all-star" tour. After that, it's me sitting in my office and staring out the window till March.

Anybody got any clever ideas as how to waste time till next season? Any random leagues going? Everyone on here should get together to play a couple games one weekend just to kill time. Preferably down south of Fukuoka because the weather, as it won't be good, will be better there. Any suggestions?
Comments
Re: Off-season Baaaaaad
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 7:37 PM ]

Yeah, I've got an idea. Why don't you spend some time watching the no. 1 spectator sport in the U.S. - NFL football. Football has surplanted baseball in the U.S. as the national pastime. I can remember a time in the late 1970s and all through the '80s when all people talked about was MLB in the U.S. But now it's that way with the NFL.

If you are that desparate for baseball, there's also the Masters League that plays in the winter. It's your chance to see NPB stars from the 1970s, '80s, and '90s.
[ Author: Guest: newboy | Posted: Nov 9, 2005 12:00 AM ]

Kenny, football after baseball is a bit like fast food after haute cuisine. Both come under the heading "sport," but that is where the comparison ends. Also, of course, while MLB teams play 81 home games, NFL teams only play 8, so comparing attendances is hardly comparing like with like. MLB total attendance of 75,000,000 in 2005 was an all time record, so someone is still interested.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 7:54 PM | TYS Fan ]

- Anybody got any clever ideas as how to waste time till next season?

Baseball simulations! If you can't follow baseball on TV, in the newspaper, and in the stands, you can still replay past seasons.
[ Author: KevvyG | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 9:12 PM | SL Fan ]

Premier League.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Nov 2, 2005 6:25 PM | HT Fan ]

- Anybody got any clever ideas as how to waste time till next season?

The sports papers usually provide some light comedy. Starved of real baseball news to report, they come up with all sorts of weird and wonderful trade/retirement/negotiation rumours.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Nov 8, 2005 12:47 PM | HAN Fan ]

You can follow the Caribbean Baseball Federation action which will culminate with the Caribbean Series the first week of February. Many current NPB Latino players play for either the Dominican, Mexican Pacific, Puerto Rican, or Venezuelan Leagues.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Nov 9, 2005 3:11 AM | HAN Fan ]

Also, the Arizona Fall League will be in action throuhout the month of November. This league features many of the MLB prospects.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.