Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Cabrera

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Cabrera
Will Cabrera come Stateside? I believe his 2 year contract is up.

I think he deserves a shot, especially since he played part time this year in Japan (I think the statement is correct).

Thoughts from the Nippon baseball experts please. And TIA.

Latter
Comments
Re: Cabrera
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 4, 2005 8:19 PM | YBS Fan ]

Alex Cabrera has been offered a two-year, 12-oku (1,200,000,000) yen contract by the Lions. However, his agent, Alan Nero, has not replied to the Lions in over a month. The Lions' front office needs to know if he's returning next season or if they need to go out shopping for a new slugger, and they're losing their patience with Nero.

Personally, I can't imagine a better offer than the one he's been given, especially considering the amount of time Cabrera has been on the disabled list the past couple of years. And I doubt if any Major League team will match that amount, either.

So, it all comes down to Cabu's agent. Nero-san, please reply to the Lions soon, so that all of the Cabrera fans here and in Venezuela can rest easy.
[ Author: Guest: T Moore | Posted: Nov 9, 2005 11:26 AM ]

Did he re-sign by deadline?

Thanks.
[ Author: Guest: T Moore | Posted: Nov 9, 2005 11:29 AM ]

And to previous posts: I was hoping the Oakland A's might express an interest. He'd fit well there with Durazo and Hatteburg saying goodbye.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Nov 9, 2005 2:39 PM | SL Fan ]

Cab will probably get a similar offer that Petagine got from the BoSox (low risk minor league deal, right?), if he gets any from the majors. Funny how MLB teams see great potential in Japanese hitters, but not foreign stars in NPB. Weird, because they're both playing in the same leagues. Could it be just age?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 9, 2005 10:37 PM ]

Age might be part of the explanation, but I think there is more to it. Really, most all the Western gaijin have never proven their worth in the majors. No matter that it may have been in limited trials or whatever, some folks remember them as washouts. It becomes the old story of first impressions often being lasting ones. That said, your point is well taken.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: T Moore | Posted: Nov 10, 2005 10:30 AM ]

BTW: R. Petagine got the "BIG GREEN SEA CUCUMBER" from the other Sox organization this year. If they had only given him a chance rather that the "I'm retiring forever more; Olerud," they would have had a better mix, IMO. His Minor League numbers were second to none following his return from a bum knee (he'd brought with him from the NPB - BTW).

Go A's.
Re: Petagine
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Nov 11, 2005 2:25 AM | SL Fan ]

Wow, Petagine really did light up AAA pitching with 1,087 OPS! I can't believe he only got 18 games in the majors last season.
[ Author: Guest: T Moore | Posted: Nov 10, 2005 10:38 AM ]

Gaijin, on them or not, here or there. You've got game or you don't. Play Ball!
[ Author: Guest: Cardioso | Posted: Nov 17, 2005 2:28 PM ]

So did Cabrera sign or not? No one seems to have the clear answer. Is he even worth it anymore? If so, I do not understand why he does not make it on MLB?
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Nov 17, 2005 8:27 PM | YAK Fan ]

Cabrera hasn't signed yet. I guess Seibu put an offer on the table and are asking for an answer within a couple of days, but Cabrera's agent is asking Seibu to wait. Seibu would like to know if Cabby is returning, to know if they have to start shopping for another foreigner.
[ Author: Guest: John Bristor | Posted: Nov 19, 2005 10:41 PM ]

Cabrera is being Wooed by the Toronto Blue Jays and two other MLB teams as well as the Yomiuri Giants according to this article [terra.com - in Spanish].
[ Author: Guest: TMOORE | Posted: Nov 22, 2005 10:42 AM ]

He deserves a chance. Come-on Jays. Or Oakland, or KC. Anyone in the AL where we'll see his wonderful bat at work.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 23, 2005 3:04 AM | CLM Fan ]

Trey, don't you think he could get busted for juicing? What about Japan's new testing policy? I think there's a good chance 2006 won't see either 55 home run batters.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Nov 23, 2005 10:01 PM | SL Fan ]

Seibu announced that they have reached an agreement with Cabrera (but he hasn't seemed to have signed on it yet) worth $12 million over 2 years, including incentives. [Full Story - Yahoo! Japan Sports - in Japanese]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.