Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Increase in Foreign Players for 2006?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Increase in Foreign Players for 2006?
Has it been confirmed that the NPB will allow one Asian player per team starting in 2006 that will not count against the foreign player rule?

And if so, who would be the candidates? Chen Chin-feng comes to mind. So does Lin En-yu, who was the best pitcher in the CPBL this past season. He became the first player to win five individual awards.

In Korea, Shim Jong-soo is a free agent this year if I am not mistaken.
Comments
Re: Increase in Foreign Players for 2006?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 17, 2005 6:56 PM | YBS Fan ]

The only official mention of this that I saw was right after NPB officials met with the officials of KBO, CPBL, and CBL in mid-summer. It really came out of the blue, then didn't attract a headline since.

The Murakami Fund fiasco along with Rakuten's stake in TBS then took over the focus of the executive and owners meetings since the end of the season. Again, I didn't notice anything about the "Asia waku."

But then at the Konami Cup with the friend of mine who got the tickets, my friend said that it was already decided. I pointed out that there wasn't any mention in Nikkan Sports that I'd noticed (and I admit that I don't necessarily read every article). But he was quite sure it's official policy for 2006.

The 2006 version of the "Baseball Agreement" should be prepared some time in December here [Japan Professional Baseball Players Association - in Japanese]. Actually, the 2005 version seemed to take a little longer to finalize last year due to the merger, so we may have to wait until January for confirmation. That document will be the primary source once it's completed.

While I'm trusting enough in this friend that I'll accept his word, I don't expect everyone to. So I did a little Googling and found:
  • Decision to Hold Divided Draft Finalized - July 20, 2005 - SpoNichi - The exemption of one Asian player from the foreign player limit was mentioned as one of three requests from the Players Association discussed at the meeting.
  • Oh-kantoku Proposes Japan Take Leadership Role - November 13, 2005 - SpoNichi via Yahoo! News - While it's open to other interpretations, I translate the last sentence as saying that Oh-kantoku is in full agreement with the introduction of the Asian player exception.
These were the two most relavant links on the first page of search results. As you can see, still no official word of accepting this, so I can't say for sure right now.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.