Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

WBC: Touch Up Call

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
WBC: Touch Up Call
Clearly team Japan was robbed in the 8th inning on the tag-up call by the home plate umpire over-ruling 2nd base umpire on the third base runner that did hold up until the catch was made. There was only 1 out with the bases loaded. The 1 run should have counted and there would still have had 2 runners on with only 1 out. Japan had a chance to score more.

I absolutly want team USA to win, but not as the result of a bad call by an umpire. We need to let Japan know that the integrity of the game of baseball is more important than who wins.
Comments
Re: WBC: Touch Up Call
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 11:52 AM ]

It was a bad call I'll admit, but I'm not yet ready to say it would have decided the game. Japan may or may not have scored more after that. But whether the call stood or not, A-Rod still would have gotten his little single. And if Japan could have scored more runs in the inning of the bad call, who's to say the US wouldn't have scored more in the bottom of the ninth?

Bad call, but that's baseball. Nothing's a lock.
[ Author: Krishna | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 1:37 PM ]

For one, Fujikawa would not have been in the game, Otsuka would have. That changes everything.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 4:19 PM ]

Yeah, A-Rod would have hit a homer instead of a single.
[ Author: Guest: j in la | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 6:20 PM ]

Ohtsuka would have shut the lights out on the US, like Don McClean's Bye Bye American Pie.

If there was no pitch count in Round 2, Uehara would have still been dealing. Lee would never have gotten the chance to tie it. As we all know, Uehara was just warming up.
[ Author: Guest: Jwadeg | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 3:36 PM ]

Though I agree with you when you say that the bad call may not have decided the game, it's very debatable to say that "A-Rod still would have gotten his little single."

A 4-3 game is vastly different from a 3-3 game. And it's possible that Japan would've had an even bigger lead (since Ogasawara walked, which would've re-loaded the bases with two out, which means Aoki wouldn't have bunted).

And, if Japan would've had a lead, it's also very possible that Sadaharu Oh would've put in a different pitcher to close the game.

No one will know exactly how that game would've been played had the run not been discounted. It's very possible that the U.S. wouldn't have scored in the 9th had Japan been playing with a lead rather than trying to preserve a tie.
[ Author: Guest: bim | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 7:50 PM ]

Fujikawa is as good as Otsuka. In addition, his pitches are not familliar to US players. Thus, Fujikawa is a good closer. This game is the best.
[ Author: Guest: Akagaminosteven | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 4:04 AM ]

I maintain that it was an unfortunate call, but I can't help but say that for every reason that Japan could have scored more runs, there's a reason the US could have scored more runs, too. Yes, the game was heading in Japan's direction, and they indeed got jobbed, but I'm sorry - I just don't see how it could be argued as a lock for them.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 1:43 PM | SL Fan ]

Yes, and I can't see how it could be argued that it would be a lock for the US regardless of the bad call.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.