Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bad

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Bad "Calls" on Japan
The only broadcast that I know of of the WBC here in the USA is on XM Satellite Radio. One of the LA Dodgers radio announcers, Charlie Steiner, is completely butchering half the Japanese players' names to the point where I can't tell who he's talking about. He can't distinguish Matsunaka and Matsuzaka to save his life. It's almost as if they got a roster and ZERO pronunciation guide. I say this because the people who the announcers do know are more accurate (Ichiro, Hee Seop Choi, etc.).

I suppose I can't complain - it's better than getting no broadcast in the U.S. Nor is it better than some of the katakana approximations of the gaijin players in Japan (Traxler (2 syllables) = Torakkusuraa (5ish)).
Comments
Re: Bad "Calls" on Japan
[ Author: 20X6!! | Posted: Mar 19, 2006 1:46 PM | FSH Fan ]

Well, as I'm watching Jon Miller on ESPN - I must congraulate him on his Japanese pronunciation. He's even flipping his "r"s!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.