Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ichiro and the

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Ichiro and the "30 years" comment
Judging from some posts on this site, it seems a lot of people think Ichiro claimed Japanese baseball was 30 years ahead of Korean baseball.

His comment before the first game was:
「30年は日本に手は出せないな」という勝ち方をしたい.
This translates as:
I want to beat Korea so badly they'll think it'll take them thirty years before they can compete with Japan again.
Comments
Re: Ichiro and the "30 years" comment
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Mar 20, 2006 12:22 PM | SL Fan ]

He wasn't even specifically referring to Korea. Here's the quote in context.

「ただ勝つだけじゃなく、すごいと思わせたい。戦った相手が“向こう30年は日本に手は出せないな”という感じで勝ちたいと思う。」

Roughly translated by westbaystars as:

It's not that we just want to simply win, we would like to make [them] think it's enormous. I'd like to see a victory [so decisive] that the opposition should feel, "we can't touch Japan for another 30 years."

[Rough English translation added by westbaystars. Other translations/interpretations are welcome.]
Re: Ichiro and the "30 years" Comment
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 20, 2006 3:19 PM | HT Fan ]

I think that's an accurate translation.

I guess it comes down to what you construe Ichiro's intention as. Some find it offensive; others not so.

Whatever his agenda may have been, Ichiro's comment certainly helped raise/maintain interest in the WBC. I wonder if that wasn't partly his aim - he's a media savvy guy.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.