Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kenny Nomura, Son of Hall of Famer

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Kenny Nomura, Son of Hall of Famer
I would like to know about Kenny Nomura and his career with the Ham Fighters and Carp. Any info would be welcome. Thanks, Mark
Comments
Re: Kenny Nomura, Son of Hall of Famer
[ Author: Trey T. | Posted: Mar 13, 2003 5:18 PM ]

Katsuhiko (Kenny) Nomura
1980-81 Hiroshima-Toyo Carp, 1982-83 Nippon-Ham Fighters

Kenny only has minor team career totals because he was not called up to the major team.

1980: games 18, at-bats 27, hits 11, HRs 1, RBIs 5, Ave. .407
1981: games 27,at-bats 32, hits 6, HRs 0, RBIs 0, Ave. .188
1982: games 22,at-bats 27,hits 5, HRs 0, RBIs 0, Ave.185
1983: games 6, at-bats 5, hits 2,HRs 0, RBIs 2, Ave. .400

total: games 73, at-bats 90, hits 24, HRs 1, Ave.264

By the way, Kenny is not Katsuya Nomura's own son because Sachiyo Nomura, Katsuya's wife, was first married to an American with whom she bore Kenny before marrying Katsuya.

Katsunori, who is a baseball player who plays for Hanshin Tigers now, is the only son between Katsuya and Sachiyo.
[ Author: Guest: mark | Posted: Mar 14, 2003 1:41 AM ]

Thank you for the information.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Mar 14, 2003 2:09 AM ]

His real name is Kenneth Engel. He graduated from St. Mary's International School in Tokyo, which is also my alma mater. He was a catcher with a good bat but slow afoot. The rumor was that his pro-career ended because of a bad injury to his knee. As you may know, he recently reported to the tax agency about his mother's tax evasion. He put his own mother in jail!!!

Both Kenny and Donald (Dan Nomura) despise the Nomura clan.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Mar 14, 2003 5:41 AM | HAN Fan ]

Most of you know that Katsuya's [other] step son is Don Nomura. Don Nomura was the guy responsible for Hideo Nomo and Makoto Suzuki coming to MLB. Don also is the former owner of the Class A Salinas Spurs.

[westbaystars: Donald and Kenny are both Katsuya's step sons - brothers from Sachiyo's previous marrage mentioned above.]
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 14, 2003 9:42 AM | HT Fan ]

Huge digression...

A guy recently quit the company I work at to become a translator. He'd translated a book in his spare time and convniced the publisher to publish it. When I asked him what the book was, he said it was called Mummy. "What?!" I asked, "Kenny Nomura's book, in which he savages his own mother, and scorns the whole Nomura Dynasty?!?!"

"Err, no" came the reply, "I believe that's 'Goodbye Mummy.'"

Well, it was exciting for a moment, anyway.
[ Author: sipin3_jp | Posted: Mar 15, 2003 7:25 PM ]

Why are you talking about him? I used to work with him and his brother Dan (I don't know if it's Don or Dan, because we spoke Japanese, he said his name was Dan). I used to see them on an everyday basis when Yutaka Enatsu was at a try-out camp with the Brewers back in 1985. I was really excited with Enatsu coming to the States trying out for the MLB. The Nomura brothers and I knew that Enatsu was too old and wouldn't make it, but for people like us, it was important. I knew the challenge was to go on. We waited almost a decade. Then this whole Nomo ordeal came and the rest is the history.

I don't associate with the Nomuras anymore, but my relationship with them long before they became known to the public and for the feat they have done, I still have a respect for them.

I don't care if they are little greedy. I know how they are and I don't make the kind of money they make. But still, you just gotta give them a credit for this whole thing.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.