Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

High School Baseball

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
High School Baseball
The spring tournament for high school kids has begun. Watching it on TV, there appear to be lots of kids emulating Ichiro and Cabrera.

In today's three games, I saw numerous boys pointing their bat straight at the pitcher and hitching up the sleeve a la Ichiro, and a few of them did the big stretch backwards as they got into their batting stance.

If you're gonna copy someone, it might as well be someone good I s'pose.
Comments
Re: High School Baseball
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Mar 23, 2003 5:07 AM ]

I heard some website is broadcasting the high school baseball tournament live on the Internet (radio maybe even video). Does anyone know where it is? I would really love to watch/listen to some games.

Thanks
Re: High School Baseball (2)
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 24, 2003 9:45 AM | HT Fan ]

Just a thought: does HS baseball here strike anyone else except me as being rather militaristic?

Robert Whiting suggests in this old thread that "Japanese baseball" has some militaristic aspects, but to my eye, HS baseball is particularly so.

What makes me think that? Mostly the marching into the stadium, the gathering round the kantoku (caps off) between innings so he can marshall the troops, the implicit fear of breaking any rules - both the players and the supporters, and the military sound of the support songs.

I suppose that last one sort of applies to NPB as well, but I s'pose with all the practice that the school brass bands get, they're really accurate, and it gives them a military-sounding precision. They choose some weird songs, too. Yesterday, I heard Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" played to that one-two, one-two-three beat. Hilarious!
Re: High School Baseball (2)
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: May 7, 2003 2:35 AM | HAN Fan ]

The May 5, 2003 Tacoma News Tribune [Link] has an insightful article on the regimentation of Japanese private school baseball.

The highly structured, military dormitory life of the Kagoshima Jitsugyo High School baseball team is the spotlight of TNT staff writer Eijiro Kawada's story.

Kawada notes the difficult and intense road to the National High School Championship, especially touching is the players' separation from parents, family, and friends.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.