Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Wins Shares for NPB

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Wins Shares for NPB
Jim Allen wrote an excellent article in today's Daily Yomiuri that lists win shares for last year's award winners. For those unfamiliar with Bill James' new system, Jim also outlines the method behind it. A must read, IMO.
Comments
Re: Wins Shares and Other Stats
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 6, 2003 8:07 PM | YBS Fan ]

Looks like I was too late in getting to that article as it's gone now.

I am interested in posting a lot of those Bill James' stats on the player profile pages. Would anybody be interested in seeing them there? If so, what stats would you like to see? And how does one calculate them from the information already there?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Apr 7, 2003 12:08 AM ]

Win Shares, while they seem to be a nice tool, would be a bear to even program the computer to figure -- there are (from memory) at least 50 pages of text explaining how they are calculated for the various positions in the Win Shares book.

I think two of the basic stats would be nice -- On Base Percentage, which is (hits + walks + HBP)/ PA, and slugging percentage, which is TB/ AB. OPS is merely OBP plus Slugging Pct.

If there is demand for any other "Bill James" stats, I'll try to get you the way to calculate them if you are having difficulty. Win Shares, though, are a bit much.

Jim Albright
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Apr 7, 2003 1:03 PM | HT Fan ]

- I think two of the basic stats would be nice -- On Base Percentage, which is (hits + walks + HBP)/ PA, and slugging percentage, which is TB/ AB. OPS is merely OBP plus Slugging Pct.

Not to nitpick, but the formula for OBP is (hits + walks + HBP) divided by (at bats + walks + HBP + sac flies). The difference is small -- usually a couple of percentage points. For instance, Kenji Johjima produced a .346 OBP in 2002 according to your formula, (122+30+8)/(463), while NPB-BIS lists his OPB at .348 or (122+30+8)/(416+30+8+6). In other words, sac hits are taken out of the equation.
[ Author: InterestedAmericanObserver | Posted: Apr 19, 2003 1:53 PM ]

Runs Created and RCAA are useful stats. www.Baseball-encyclopedia.com, run by Lee Simons, has an explination of the stats.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Apr 21, 2003 2:06 PM ]

Is there anywhere on the Net I can get career OBP and SLG numbers for current players? Haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Thanks.
OBP and SLG
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 21, 2003 2:38 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Is there anywhere on the Net I can get career OBP and SLG numbers for current players?

Now that I have the formulas, I can have them up for everyone I have data for (all players' career data who were registered on a Japanese team in 2002) this evening. How does that sound?

I suppose you'd also like that as a single page rather than going through each player's profile one by one. If you let me know what other headers you want in such a page, I'll see what I can do. (See any player profile for the headers I have available.)
Re: OBP and SLG
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 21, 2003 10:24 PM | YBS Fan ]

Done. I've used the formula that 1908-san gave above for OBP and Johjima checks out. Anyone want to double check a few OBP and Slugging calculations to make sure I did it right?
Re: OBP and SLG
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Apr 22, 2003 3:28 AM | HT Fan ]

- Anyone want to double check a few OBP and Slugging calculations to make sure I did it right?

Looks good. As a side note, if anyone starts bothering you for OPS, remind them that it's on-base plus slugging. Shouldn't be too hard for them to figure out on their own.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.