Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Foreign Pitchers

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Foreign Pitchers
I just wanted to know if there were any opinions on the foreign pitching in NPB this season.

I've noticed Powell and Kevin Beirne have pitch pretty well for the Buffaloes. I remember Beirne with LA last season and he looked like he might stick with the Dodgers as a long reliever/spot starter, but apparently Jim Tracy told he would make the club and opted for Japan.

It's good to see Jeff Williams is pitching better for the Tigers than he did in LA last year. It seemed like every time he got into a game last year, he hd trouble getting anyone out.
Comments
Re: Foreign Pitchers
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 3, 2004 3:49 PM ]

Williams is a stud. Moore shoud do fine for Orix. The Carp have quietly signed two NPB All-Star quality arms in Davey and Bale. Each will win 10 games, even though the Carp are a so-so team.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 4, 2004 12:35 AM | HT Fan ]

Well, Williams' studliness, babeliciousness, or stalionicity (I know that's not actually a word; I guess you had to be in west Auckland circa 1990 to get it) aside, I think gaikokujin pitchers contributed a lot over the past season and the coming season is very tanoshimi (look farward to), too.

To take Moore as an example, Trey is a quality pitcher; it's been said before in these pages: the Tigers made a mistake letting him go. Sure, second-stringer Kodai Sakurai hit a grand slam off him in a recent open-sen (pre-season game), but so what? You can be sure Trey will do well for the BlueWave in 2004.

My interest is more in the relatively unknown new Tigers pitcher, Ramon Morel. I saw him on TV tonight pitching in the bullpen. In fact, I've only ever seen him on TV pitching in the bullpen. This thread has a little about him, but he's still a bit of a mystery man. Still, on paper the Tigers have made a wise move (with the exception of the folly of letting Trey Moore go): because they replaced lefty starter Moore with lefty starter Maekawa from Kintetsu (in a trade with recent non-performer Tetsuro Kawajiri). That means reliever/closer Morel can act as a second closer with Jeff "Stud" Williams. According to one expert (okay, not an expert - the owner of a local pub, actually), Williams is prone to get a bit tired in the hotter months and Morel will provide welcome relief. We'll see.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Mar 5, 2004 7:54 AM | HT Fan ]

Seibu has two guys from Taiwan, Chang and Hsu, who are both pretty solid. Chang has a chance to be a real ace if he keeps in shape.

The most consistant winner among foreign pitchers, of course, is Lotte's Nate Minchey. I expect him to post another double-digit win total this season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.