Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Baseball Tryouts??

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Baseball Tryouts??
I was wondering if Japanese Pro-baseball teams hold a tryout. I was wondering what the procedures are in getting a tryout with a pro team. What is included in a tryout, when it is, where it is, and so on? Or even a home page to look at. I am located in Fukuoka-ken, so the Hawks would be most convenient for me. Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Baseball Tryouts??
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 18, 2003 11:10 AM | YBS Fan ]

First, did you read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) on this very topic? I've been throwing a lot of questions out lately because it's obvious that the posters did not read the FAQ first. But you raised some good questions that aren't necessarilly covered there. So...

- What is included in a tryout[?]

From what I've read, a lot of running. And that includes pitchers. Basic fundamentals are tested by throwing from the out field fense to home plate and such. I've heard, but not confirmed, that infield knock until you drop is also part of the drill. For pitchers, speed and pitch variety are checked.

I think that Latham-san's article (mentioned in the FAQ) covers some of this.

- [W]hen it is[?]

A couple of years ago they had a pair of tryouts after the season ended, one for Eastern Japan, the other for Western Japan. From it, I think only 1 or 2 players made it to the final rounds. I kept an eye out for announcements last year, but didn't see any for general open tryouts.

Teams do have private tryouts all year round, though. What you need to do, as is explained in the FAQ, is get an agent to set one up for you. An agent with experience in Japan is the best way to go.

I've had this question asked so many times in the past, have given the players advise to get an agent with experience in Japan, given people team contact information, and never heard from them again. With no feedback, I don't know if my advise is good or bad. I don't know if the players ever made contact with an agent or team. This is just common sense advise. An agent will most likely give you better advise.

- [W]here it is[?]

If you get a private tryout with a club, it will probably be at their farm facilities. I believe that one of the public ones a couple of years ago was as the Giants' Tamagawa grounds, but don't remember for sure.

- Or even a home page to look at.

日本語は大丈夫ですか? (Is Japanese OK?) If there is a public tryout, there should be a press release. Unfortunately, those little things tend to only make the paper version of the daily sports papers. I'd recommend Nikkan Sports, but any should do.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Guest: garuba sebastine | Posted: Sep 1, 2003 10:03 PM ]

Sir, I would like to know every useful information needed to come over for tryouts, thanks.
[ Author: Guest: Terrence Norman | Posted: Sep 19, 2003 4:48 AM ]

Sean,

Your message was posted nearly a month ago, however, I am interested in learning more about you, as a player. What past experience have you had?
[ Author: AAslugger12 | Posted: Oct 4, 2003 1:10 AM ]

How are you guys doing? I'm looking for information on try-outs for the Japapnese league. I would appreciate any info on the try-outs. Thanks.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 4, 2003 7:38 PM | YBS Fan ]

First, did you read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)? If you haven't, do so and follow the links to all relevant sites on the topic of playing in Japan.

Second, if I see any announcements for try-outs, I'll be sure to pass them on, most likely in the News forum.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.