Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bad Umpiring Jobs

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Bad Umpiring Jobs
[Over in this thread, it was mentioned:

"Last night an umpire helped the Giants again."]

This may be a little off-topic on this thread [note: created new thread], but the game last night (June 6) between the Yomiuri Giants and the Hiroshima Carp was one of the worst umped games I have seen here in a long time.

Hiroshima's starting pitcher Takahashi's frustration when he threw the ball in anger after letting a 3-run home run to Etoh was cleraly understandable; he had thrown about 5 strikes to previous batters that were called balls.

Furthermore, in the top of the 9th, a replay of Saitoh's slide into third base showed that he had been out. It may seem safe to many of you Giants' fans, but News Station clearly showed the play in closeup, and Saitoh was definitely out. Arai, who was obviously more than 100% sure that Saitoh was out, couldn't control his emotions and was ejected for yelling and pushing the umpire.

Yesterday's umpiring was clearly an example of why some people are anti-Giants. Hiroshima would have taken yesterday's game easily hadn't it been for such pathetic umpiring.
Comments
Re: Bad Umpiring Jobs
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Jun 6, 2003 6:39 PM ]

Am I reading this right? [Link - Yahoo Sports Japan - Japanese] That Hiroshima's Takahashi, after throwing a ball at an umpire, got a "severe caution" and 10-man (100,000 yen) fine???

A baseball can be a dangerous weapon, and throwing it at an umpire nonetheless, should get a severe fine and suspension. How long was Galvez suspended for, a month? Is there some favoritism going on here?

It's no wonder Japanese umps have no respect, the fines aren't severe enough to deter players from attacking them!! Same goes for Arai getting only 1 game.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 6, 2003 8:48 PM | YBS Fan ]

According to Nikkan Sports, Takahashi was being replaced after giving up the three run homer to Etoh. While heading back to the dugout, he exchanged a few words with home plate umpire Tani about previous calls and was ejected. In a fit of rage, Takahashi threw the ball at a ball boy, not the umpire.

While it doesn't lessen the severity of what he did by too great an extent, I don't think that the throw at the ball boy was intentionally directed toward him. Galvez, on the other hand, had intent in his throw at an umpire and was suspended for the remainder of the season (at least two months, if memory serves me correctly). I agree that the punishment is fairly light, but I don't think that the intent was the same.

Arai being punished (beyond ejection) is a good sign. In the past, some players and managers (Hoshino-kantoku) weren't even expelled from games after shoving umpires.

I expect to see at least one umpire punished after that game as well for not maintaining control. There was such an incident recently in the Pacific League where an umpire was given a week off after failing to keep order.
[ Author: Guest: No | Posted: Jun 8, 2003 3:19 PM ]

What a shame!!!

I get used to seeing these kind of umpires who favor the Giants. I wonder why a fair and nice country has this kind of stuff. It seems that Giant are the national team, all others are Korean team.

Woo
[ Author: Guest: mike | Posted: Jun 12, 2003 1:48 PM ]

Are these umpires suspended some games?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 12, 2003 10:39 PM | YBS Fan ]

I haven't noticed anything being done about this crew, but as I said above, there have been a number of occasions where umpires in the Pacific League have been given suspensions ("refresh" vacations) after similar incidents.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.