Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hoshino-kantoku says NPB steals bases better than MLB

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Hoshino-kantoku says NPB steals bases better than MLB
In an interview with Sankei Sports, Hanshin manager Senichi Hoshino praises the high level of Japanese baseball. The interview was actually about Hanshin trying to acquire pitcher Jerrod Riggan; in it, Hoshino said that any pitchers who come to Japan to work as middle relievers would have to be of a sufficient level to be closers just to make it as middle relief because "these days, Japan's batters are very high quality. The thing that NPB does better than MLB is stealing bases. I mean, MLB pitchers lift their legs so high when pitching, and the runners still don't try and steal bases."
Comments
Re: Hoshino-kantoku says NPB steals bases better than MLB
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Jun 10, 2003 1:45 PM ]

Think Hoshino is missing something here.

In MLB, the SB is on the decline because of the risk/reward factor. HRs are up, slugging is up. Small ball is out. When you have a slugger who can hit a two-run homer, why bother with risking an out for moving up a runner to score one run? It's the Oakland A's philosophy that's being passed on to Toronto, and Boston to name a few.

And while we're at it, I was at the Tigers-Swallows game on Sunday, when the Tigers lost by one run. Tigers up to bat in the top of 11th, and Yagi got a hit. His PR, Shuuta (?) tried to steal, and was picked off, squelching a shot at taking a lead. After another out, Yano got a hit. With Hiyama, Yano and Kataoka (and with Hamanaka available to PH), I just couldn't understand why, in the top of the 11th, when you know the relief staff of your team [is awful], and you need that run, you would risk running against Furuta, who has a career mark of .476 of throwing baserunners out. Made no sense to me.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 10, 2003 3:36 PM | HT Fan ]

Yeah, that won't rate among the year's best plays, will it? The radio comments man at the time (it might have been Toshiro Yufune... can't remember) speculated that there might have been no sign and that Shuta ran by himself.

Against Furuta? Ya gotta wonder, don't ya? I mean, Shuta's good and all, but he's no Akahoshi.
[ Author: Guest: shishimaru | Posted: Jun 10, 2003 10:25 PM ]

Actually, it said in some newspapers that it was a hit and run, but Hiyama couldn't hit the ball.
Re Shuta getting Picked Off
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 11, 2003 9:26 AM | HT Fan ]

Can't decide which is worse . Mind you, at least that would mean Shuta isn't stupid.
[ Author: Guest: No | Posted: Jun 12, 2003 1:47 PM ]

- Furuta, who has a career mark of .476 of throwing baserunners out, [...]

Is Furuta the best in Japan? I saw on TV yesterday, it showed that Amuse, catcher of Astro, throws out 0.600?

Where did they take these stats for a catcher? I don't see them in Yahoo Sports.
Furuta's Caught Stealing Stats
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 12, 2003 10:01 PM | YBS Fan ]

I think he got the number from Fututa's stats here, which are, unfortunately, incomplete.

Tanishige has been the best for the past couple of years, getting around half the attempts against him.

But even as he's aging and getting hurt more often, Furuta is considered to be the best catcher in Japan. Johjima is considered to be the best in the Pacific League, and he just got up to over .500 last season.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jun 10, 2003 1:50 PM ]

Maybe somebody should introduce the concept of the sidestep to Hoshino-kantoku...
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jun 11, 2003 2:40 AM ]

Of course, I meant slidestep...
[ Author: Guest: mike | Posted: Jun 12, 2003 1:42 PM ]

A team without HRs like Hanshin should try to risk a steal. Don't you think that Ichiro is very dangerous when he is at first base? He makes pitchers lose focus on the plate.

Teams like the Giants would choose home runs.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Jun 12, 2003 3:09 PM ]

Agreed, Tigers need to be aggressive, but not in the 11th inning with your clean up coming up and a very suspect pitching staff to protect your tie.
Takahashi Bunting Again
[ Author: Guest: mike | Posted: Jun 16, 2003 3:30 PM ]

Wow, last night (June 15), Takahashi also tried to bunt. That is strange for a home run batter.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.