Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Techno Umpires

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Techno Umpires
While reading my usual Umpires to Tech: You're Out!" [wired.com], an article about QuesTec cameras being used in a number of North American ball parks to evaluate umpires.

The article focuses on the umpires' objections to using the technology to monitor them, something that I don't really have a problem with - and would like to see here in Japan. The quality of umpiring here in Japan is often brought up as a problem, usually by anti-Giant fans who think that the Giants have extra men on the field wearing blue.

Discussions on SlashDot reveal that umpires themselves tend to call the game differently in stadiums with QuesTec, fearing poor scores compared to the "faulty" system which may effect selection to all star or post season play. (MLB denies that the scores are used that way.) If this is true, then I would be tempted to say that just the existence of the system is perhaps having a positive effect on games called (unless you're a veteran pitcher used to getting a little extra width). So would Kuwata, Kudoh, etc. see a drop in strike outs with such a system?

I wouldn't advocate having such a system take over the calls for umpires, especially considering that even Sandy Alderson, MLB vice president of operations and advocate for the system, admits that it has its problems. But as a tool to help train umpires here, who have far too little formal training, I think it's an excellent idea.

The key having such a system make a positive impact, though, will be how it's administered. For example, publishing the scores umpires get will most likely have a strong negative effect on the already oppressed umpires. Weekly meetings where system operators and umpires get together to review calls, giving human feedback with video data of problem spots would be the way to go. Encouraging umpiring crews, especially crew leaders, to discuss and give advice on how to set up with certain pitchers, batters, and catchers could see great improvements (with or without such a system - but the system should give them more incentive).

There is a system installed at Tokyo Dome to give a 3D computer simulation/recreation on pitches, complete with strike zone grid. (Shown on NTV and G+ for Giants' games.) It's called something "Trax." It's purpose appears to be to give commentators something to talk about (and promote some video game who's engine is used for rendering). The graphics aren't useful for helping a pitcher with his form, but if the zone data is accurate, this might be useful for umpires, too.
Comments
Re: Techno Umpires
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 26, 2003 3:41 PM | HT Fan ]

Many sports have their own versions of techno-umpiring. Tennis has its machines that tell whether a serve was a fault or not, cricket has the "third umpire" for some decisions (the decision is indicated by lights installed on the stand in which the third umpire is ensconced: red for out, green for not out). Even rugby has a limited version of it.

When they were introduced, there were rumblings about the ruining of the game and undermining the authority of the umpire, but they seem to be accepted as part of those games now.

It should be pointed out, though, that in those sports, the umpires/referees are respected by players and team staff. I wonder if the introduction of such a system in NPB would have any effect on the less-than-reverential way managers and some players treat umpires.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.