Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro Yakyu in 2020

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Pro Yakyu in 2020
On the main SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) site, there is currently a survey about what baseball will be like in 2020. Members and non-members alike are asked to take the survey. The link to the survey is in the "SABR-zine" box on the right side of the main page.

Questions 5, 7, and 8 all relate to the internationalization of baseball, asking:

5. How many [...] MLB franchises will be outside of the U.S.?

7. Indicate which of these cities outside of the US and Canada will have MLB franchises in 2020:

Bogota, Colombia      Osaka, Japan
    Caracas, Venezuela San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Havana, Cuba Santo Domingo, Dom.. Rep.
    London, England Seoul, Korea
    Mexico City, Mexico Taipei, Taiwan
    Monterrey, Mexico Tokyo, Japan

8. In 2002, about 1 player in 4 in the majors (24.5%) was born outside the U.S. In the minor leagues, the percentage is already around 50%. In 2020 [what percentage will it be?]

Looking at these questions from this side of the Pacific, I still don't think that MLB and NPB will merge by 2020, although I do think that their relationship with each other will change significantly. You all know about my desire to see a Pacific Rim League happen, and the winner of that to take on the winner of North America in a "real" World Series, so I think that, if anything, "PRL" and MLB may start battling over rights to the Asian talent pool. Still, is this a long enough time frame to see it happen?

Whether the Pacific Rim League comes about or not, I still think that MLB will expand toward South America, not Europe and/or Asia. It's closer, they've already got a great many ties at all levels, and there isn't as great a problem with jet lag as they're in the same time zones as North America.

But what I'm really interested in is your opinions on what Nippon Professional Baseball will be like in 2020. Will it expand internationally? Will it be assimilated by MLB? Will umpires be replaced by technology? Will SABR-metrics be discovered and used by managers here?

Comments
Re: Pro Yakyu in 2020
[ Author: Guest: no | Posted: Jun 22, 2003 4:57 PM ]

MLB doesn't like your dream. Except that the "Pacific Rim" champions will have to face the top of South America, then we will have a real final match with MLB.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jun 27, 2003 4:27 AM ]

It'll be impossible because of all the traveling and time zone adjusting for players. MLB won't be played in all parts of the world unless NBA, NFL, and NHL are going to do the same.
[ Author: BSO_Cards | Posted: Aug 8, 2003 6:15 AM ]

Ya, travelling is already real tough on the players. Maybe a winter league in Japan involving American and Japanese players could be created? There are already plenty of winter leagues in Central America, but that's primarily for Minor leaguers.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Aug 8, 2003 1:49 PM | HT Fan ]

- Maybe a winter league in Japan involving American and Japanese players could be created?

Or they could just re-open the Hawaiian Winter League.
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Aug 30, 2003 7:24 PM | FSH Fan ]

Winter league in Japan? It's not all like Okinawa, so I'm not sure that would work. You'd run into the same problems with having a winter league in North America.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.