Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yoshino Tied the Japanese Record?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Yoshino Tied the Japanese Record?
On Saturday (July 26, 2003), Hanshin was beaten badly by Dragons. I was very surprised that Hoshino did not replace Yoshino when he walked 5 batters in a row. What was he thinking?

Yoshino tied the Japanese record?
Comments
Yoshino Tied the Japanese Record
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 28, 2003 1:58 PM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, that was a tied record. Yoshino was the 10th player to walk five in a row. He goes up there with the likes of Kudoh (May 23, 1991 vs. Lotte) and Nomo (July 10, 1992 vs. Seibu).

What was Hoshino thinking? Probably that the game was already out of hand, with Moore giving up 5 runs in 3 innings of work (his shortest outing?). I guess he just wanted Yoshino to finish the inning and have a fresh arm start the seventh. (Not that Sakumoto did any better, giving up 7 runs in the last two innings.)

But throwing eight straight balls to Tatsunami and Linares, then three more to Alex before getting a strike over? Alex became walk number four, and Tanishige followed that with a walk to become number five. 11 straight balls is most definately grounds to replace a pitcher.
Re: Yoshino Tied the Japanese Record
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jul 28, 2003 2:06 PM | HT Fan ]

- 11 straight balls is most definately grounds to replace a pitcher.

Yes, but I must say, a number of those calls were doubtful. I thought the umpire was being unusually harsh on Yoshino.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.