Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yeah! How about those Tigers!

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Yeah! How about those Tigers!
For Tigers fans (like me) there is a great Tigers site in English - The Hanshin Tigers Page [gol.com].

The talk on the site now is an article by Jonathan Watts. He is a stuffy British know-nothing who just wrote a pro Tokyo article in the Guardian which is one of the UK's top newspapers. In it he describes the Hanshin Tigers as "a mongrel of an underdog" and Hanshin fans as "hooligans, loudmouths, and losers." (OK, he got 2 out of 3, but we are not losers!) He also spouts off bogus stats. 7 out of 10 fans in Japan are Giants fans? I don't think so Jonathan.

You should stick to writing about cricket.

Why are the Tigers tearing up the CL this year? Imaoka and Akahoshi are having career years, (Akahoshi has stolen 43 bases already). Right now Imaoka has a BA of about .370.

Getting Kanemoto from the Carp. Kanemoto was born and raised in Hiroshima, and played his entire career with the Carp. They got him because the Carp thought he was washed up at age 35. He's not - he has been a solid hitter and plays great defense in left field.

Kataoka, who joined the team last year, has proved to be a valuable addition.

Great pitching from Irabu, Igawa, Moore, and a solid bullpen.

Go Tigers!
Comments
70% Giants Fans
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 30, 2003 9:53 PM | YBS Fan ]

About the "7 out of 10 fans in Japan are Giants fans," that's probably one of those old myths based on previous fact. In the 1960s and '70s, 80% of the country was more than likely Giants' fans.

Is that true now? I doubt it. Sounds like this Watts-san is one of those who likes to perpetuate urban legends.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.