Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Where would you rather see a game?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Where would you rather see a game?
I have a chance to see a game later this month. The choices are: (1) the Hawks-Marines at Chiba Marine Stadium, or (2) Blue Wave-Lions at Seibu Dome.

Seibu Dome seems a little easier to get to. Any thoughts on which would be either a better matchup or better stadium?

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Where would you rather see a game?
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Aug 8, 2003 1:29 PM | HT Fan ]

Interesting choices...

Going to the Seibu game would give you the chance to see Alex Cabrera, who hit 55 home runs last year; and Kazuo Matsui and possibly Daisuke Matsuzaka, both of whom are potential big leaguers.

Daiei, on the other hand, has gathered an impressive collection of young pitchers, so you're almost sure to see a well-pitched game. They've got some good hitters, too. Tadahito Iguchi is rumoured to be headed to the majors at some point in the future.

I've never been to either stadium, but Seibu Dome looks a bit better on TV.

I'll give a slight edge to Seibu.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj Rupani | Posted: Aug 8, 2003 2:45 PM ]

Never been to either, actually, but as far as matchups, Hawks-Marines would probably be better and Blue Wave have been the whipping team this year ... just not at all competitive, while the Marines have been +/- 10 games below .500. It also depends on who's pitching. If you have a chance to see Matsuzaka for Seibu, go there. With the Hawks and their pitching rotation, you can't really go wrong.

I've heard Chiba Stadium is one of the more fun places to watch a game as the Marines fans are extremely enthusiastic, and the stadium, virtually on the water, is picturesque. Seibu Dome is, well, a dome.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 8, 2003 9:17 PM | YBS Fan ]

Being a closet Lotte fan, I'd probably choose the game at Chiba Marine (after consulting the weather forcast). A major factor would also be to get some live (non-copyrighted) video of this year's Pacific League champions. While one can't ever really count Seibu out, both Kintetsu and Seibu have struggled during the second half so far, while Daiei has continued to look strong.

The reason I mention consulting the weather forcast before going is because, just this evening (August 8), I went to Yokohama Stadium with my visiting Dad and two kids. When we got there, there was a sign stating that the game was cancelled due to rain - when the rain had hardly fallen for five minutes total in Yokohama all day today! It's now after 9:00pm, and still no rain! It looks like the news of Taiphoon #10 hitting was a bit pre-mature for the Tokyo area (it did hit Kyushu hard), but somebody believed that it would hit here before the game could be done. We've had baseball games cancelled due to weather forcast for some of our company games before, but this is the first time I've seen a pro game cancelled due to forcasted rain. You probably won't have such a problem choosing to go to Seibu Dome.

Other than the weather factor, I haven't seen a game at Seibu Dome, yet, while I have been to Chiba Marine a couple of times. I would like to eventually see Seibu Dome first hand. But the Hawks vs. Marines would still be my first pick.
[ Author: Guest: Paul | Posted: Aug 9, 2003 3:15 AM ]

Some interesting thoughts.

Chiba Marine sounds interesting being right on the water. And I'd like to be at a game where the crowd gets into it. Though maybe I should keep an eye on the taiphoon forecasts!

Any "must do" tips for my first trip to a Japanese park?
[ Author: Guest: Todd | Posted: Aug 9, 2003 10:42 AM ]

Hi Paul,

I've been to several games at both of those stadiums (including those same match-ups you mentioned) and highly recommend both. If weather and distance aren't a factor, Chiba is lots of fun -- and if you want to make an overnight trip of it, kick in a few extra yen and stay at the Makuhari Prince Hotel next door; it's not that expensive, and the view of the ocean and stadium is amazing.

Daiei is a finely tuned machine and always impressive to watch.

Plan B: I live near Seibu Dome and go often; it's a very impressive structure with lots of good (empty) seats, and Alex Cabrera might wow you with a moonshot or two. Weather is never a factor (except in April when it feels like Alaska out there in Tokorozawa).

Either way, enjoy!
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Aug 12, 2003 2:19 AM | FSH Fan ]

I've been to both stadiums, and prefer Chiba Lotte's. Being a Daiei fan I could go on and on about why they are such a great team to see play. Another factor you might consider is that if you are planing on staying overnight, it might be cheaper for you to stay there. Honestly both stadiums are quite a bit of fun, it comes up to what you want to see. If it's pitching go for Daiei.
[ Author: Guest: Paul | Posted: Sep 4, 2003 4:59 AM ]

Thanks to all for the tips. I went to Chiba Marine Stadium where the Marines took on the Hawks. Good advice on choosing that park, and the matchup was very good, too. I will be sure to see a game in Japan any time I am in the country during the season from now on.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.