Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Asahi Tigers

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Asahi Tigers
I have recently moved to Vancouver B.C., not the world's best baseball town. But this Saturday I will be going to a screening of a movie called "Sleeping Tigers: The Asahi Baseball Story," a documentary about a Canadian-Japanese team that apparently won several Pacific Northwest Championships in the years before WWII. If there is anyone who knows about this team, or this film, I would be interested to hear from them. Many thanks.
Comments
Re: Asahi Tigers
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 6, 2003 1:30 AM | HT Fan ]

I read a lengthy Shu-Be article about that team a few months ago, when the team was inducted into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame. Only a handful of the players were still alive at the time of the induction.

I don't remember much about the article, but one of the players wrote a book about the team. His name was Adachi, iirc.
Re: Asahi Tigers
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Dec 6, 2003 2:00 AM | HT Fan ]

No news to report on this topic. But if anyone is interested, I have found out how to purchase the movie mentioned above. You can order "Sleeping Tigers: The Asahi Baseball Story" in VHS format only, through the National Film Board of Canada [Link], or over the phone at 800-267-7710. The cost is $19.95 Canadian dollars. I believe they would be able to ship to Japan for an additional charge.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.