Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

5 Highly Sought After Japanese Ball Players

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
5 Highly Sought After Japanese Ball Players
Hi,

FYI, there is an article on ESPN's web site on the five most highly sought after Japanese ballplayers. [Link]

For what's it worth, here is the list:
  1. Daisuke Matsuzaka, 1999 Seibu Lions top draft pick
    Becomes free agent in: Four seasons and 59 days.

2. Koji Uehara, 1999 Yomiuri Giants top draft pick
    Becomes free agent in: Four seasons and 13 days.

3. Kei Igawa, 1998 Hanshin Tigers No. 2 draft pick
    Becomes free agent in: Five seasons and 65 days.

4. Kosuke Fukodome, 1999 Chunichi Dragons top draft pick
    Becomes free agent in: Four seasons.

5. Tomohiro Nioka, 1999 Yomiuri Giants No. 2 draft pick
    Becomes free agent in: Four seasons and 21 days.
Written by Mai Yoshikawa who lives in Japan and covers sports for the International Department of Kyodo News based in Tokyo. She also served as the Japanese PA announcer for the Seattle Mariners this summer.

There are also a couple big sections on Kazuo Matsui here [ESPN] and here [ESPN].

Any comments on Mai's list? At least ESPN is starting to wake up and realize that there is a lot of talent in Japan.
Comments
Re: 5 Highly Sought After Japanese Ball Players
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 25, 2003 9:08 PM | HT Fan ]

- Any comments on Mai's list?

Nioka makes the list instead of Johjima or Ogasawara? Unbelievable. I'd put both those two on the list, in fact, and bump one of the pitchers -- probably Matsuzaka thanks to his heavy use at such a young age.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 26, 2003 12:18 AM ]

Ogasawara may have been left off because he'll be in his mid-30's when he's elgible. The demands of catching may be a factor in not listing Jojima. However, the way pitchers have been, and to some extent still are used, in Japan would keep me from getting too excited over a pitcher who is more than two years away from free agency, unless posting is imminent. Throwing arm woes so often do in pitchers that I wouldn't get excited over pitchers several years away.

Position players other than catchers who will reach free agency before their 30th birthday are likely to retain their skills for a while, and are much more easily projected for such a lengthy period of time.

Jim Albright
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 26, 2003 10:24 AM | HT Fan ]

- Ogasawara may have been left off because he'll be in his mid-30's when he's elgible

Maybe, but so will Uehara. Besides, if that's the case, the page shouldn't have been titled "Top 5 Japanese Players."

- The demands of catching may be a factor in not listing Jojima.

Good point, although I'd still put him on the list. A 29-year-old catcher has less productive years left than a position player of the same age, but he still has three or four good seasons left most likely. Even if I didn't put Kenji on the list, I'd put Iwamura on there before Nioka, probably Iguchi as well after his 2003 season.

- Position players other than catchers who will reach free agency before their 30th birthday are likely to retain their skills for a while, and are much more easily projected for such a lengthy period of time.

Agreed, and that eliminates Nioka as well.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 26, 2003 12:30 AM | HT Fan ]

Uehara gets my vote as the most big-league ready Japanese pitcher. His strikeout/walk ratio is unbelievable.

I'd take Iguchi and maybe Yakult's Iwamura over Nioka as an infielder. I think Mai might be a Giants' fan.
[ Author: Guest: dr4b | Posted: Nov 27, 2003 10:53 AM ]

Oddly, even as a Giants' fan, why not put Yoshinobu Takahashi as a higher demand player than Nioka? He'll be a free agent a year earlier, is also Olympic team quality, is respectively the same age, and could easily garner the same sort of attention in America that outfielders Ichiro and H. Matsui have. I'm not sure I understand her choices either.

And agreed with the above comments on Ogasawara; it'd be great to see him come over here. He's pretty much the same age as Ichiro, even. But who knows where they'll be in a few years?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.