Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Anti-Giants

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Anti-Giants
I am a freelance journalist from Sweden who will visit Japan in April. I would like to do a story on anti-Giants fans and am looking for information and contacts regarding that. Are there any formal anti-Giants fan groups or associations, or is it more of a spontaneous phenomenon?

Of course I will also explain reasons for the animosity, like the Giants' dominant role and Tsuneo Watanabe being seen "as a kind of feudal lord" in Japanese baseball, as someone on the forum put it.

So please post a reply or send an email if you are anti-Giant and would consider an interview or going to a game with me, or just let me know if you have any advice regarding who to get in touch with.
Comments
Re: Anti-Giants
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 27, 2004 12:14 AM | HT Fan ]

Here's one take on it: There is a series of books (6 as far as I know) called "Anti-Kyojin." The Japanese version of Amazon carries them.

Incidently, running the keywords "Anti Kyojin" through Amazon.com (the US-based site) doesn't bring up any hits for those books, but it does list other entries that contain those words -- the first on the list is "You Gotta have Wa."
Re: Anti-Giants
[ Author: Guest: Mike | Posted: Apr 6, 2004 4:51 PM ]

It's funny how you mentioned Watanabe as a feudal lord. Just as the New York Yankees are to the Yomiuri Giants, Steinbrenner is to Watanabe. Of course, this is just my opinion.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.