Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fernando

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Fernando
I got to watch Fernano Seguignol play all his home games last year and he was awesome, almost winning the Triple Crown of the International League in AAA even though he missed a month. Has anyone seen him play this season for Nippon Ham? I see his stats are awesome.

He is one of my favorite players because he was such a nice guy when I had seen him around our stadium in Columbus. I was just wondering if anyone had seen him play or had an opinion of him.
Comments
Re: Fernando
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: May 24, 2004 8:27 PM ]

I met him twice, but he never really showed me that he's interested in interacting with fans too much.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: May 27, 2004 6:41 AM | HT Fan ]

I actually meant to bring this up myself. Despite being in a minor slump (hitless in the last couple games), Seguignol is batting .403/.492/.886. His 60 hits include 32 extra base hits (20 homers, 12 doubles). He's even drawn 24 walks.

Basically, this is not the confused guy I watched with Orix in 2002, when he seemed to strike out every other time up. He had some power, but rarely made contact and didn't last the whole season.

Any ideas on why he's doubled his batting average? Was he injured in 2002? Culture shock? I no longer live in Japan, so I haven't seen him in person. I can't figure it out, because he's back in the Pacific League, facing mostly the same pitchers - except for Orix. Now he gets to face Orix, which may explain some of this.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: May 28, 2004 11:10 PM ]

The reason that Fernando is doing so well this time around is that he isn't trying to hit the ball 900 miles everytime he comes to the plate. He is focusing on taking the ball back up the middle. It's a simple change, but look at what it did for Tadahito Iguchi and Bret Boone. Fernando knows that he has more than enough power to hit the ball out in Japan with a line drive, so that accounts for his success.

What he's doing is rare. I can't think of a player who has played in Japan, failed, and then come back to have the kind of improvement we've seen. It's even rare among the few players who went to Japan and were successful, went back to MLB, and then came back to Japan again.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.