Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Heaters

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Heaters
I saw Ryota Igarashi pitch at Koshien on June 1. Having seen him pitch over the past few seasons, I knew was fast, but it was really exhilarating to see someone hurl more then 3/4 of their pitches at 152 km/h or more (I think three or four pitches were clocked at 156km/h).

I was reminded of a comment by Daimajin Sasaki a while ago when Yokohama beat Hanshin (Daimajin was the closer): he was talking about how he learned better control in the USA because "every man and his dog throws 150km in MLB, so I couldn't compete on speed alone."

My question is this: why is there such a marked difference in the average speed of NPB pitchers and their MLB counterparts? Is it simply a physical thing (i.e., do non-Japanese have bigger shoulder muscles than Japanese)? Or is there some other reason contributing to the situation?
Comments
Re: Heaters
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jun 4, 2004 12:12 AM ]

I believe at least a part of it is simply that MLB pitchers are usually taller and heavier, giving them more leverage and momentum propelling them toward the plate.

Jim Albright
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 4, 2004 11:55 AM | HT Fan ]

Timely trivia: Igarashi tied the Japan speed record last night. He threw a 158 km/h "straight" ball at Makoto Imaoka, who only just managed to get some wood on it and foul it off.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jun 4, 2004 12:08 PM ]

I would also surmise that MLB players, from the time they're very young, condition themselves with strength and (just as important, if not more so) flexibility exercises. They can't turn an 89-mph pitcher into a 95-mph, but they can turn a 89-mph into a 91-92-mph pitcher. Shigetoshi Hasegawa said that he gained a few miles on his fastball (consistently hitting 90-91) after starting a Major League conditioning program. Uehara also spent some time State-side with a conditioning coach to aid flexibility.

In Japan, the smaller emphasis on strength and flexibility conditioning (particularly modern methods) leads to more guys throwing in the high 80s rather than the low 90s. Japanese baseball is much more like MLB in the 1980s that way, before it embraced kinesiology.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.