Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Web Site of Baseball Trip Help?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Web Site of Baseball Trip Help?
I recreated my blog from my Japan baseball trip of 2003 and put it on the web [Link]. It's not done yet, but if anyone catches any typos or gross errors, I would be glad to hear from you. I'm going to add some photos, too, but keep in mind that I'm an amateur when it comes to this field.

I'll be giving a presentation on my trip at the SABR Convention in Cincinnati on July 16 and MLB.com is supposed to do a feature on it also.

Thanks in advance!
Comments
Re: Web Site of Baseball Trip Help?
[ Author: Guest: rhdorsey | Posted: Jul 9, 2004 2:36 PM ]

Very enjoyable read! Also amusing, particularly the piece on the Fighters. Must have taken some very good planning and organization to see all the stadiums in just 2 weeks, particularly to get to Fukuoka and Hiroshima.

I attended a couple games in Japan in 1997, both at the Tokyo Dome. I saw first-hand the dramatic difference between the popularity of the Giants and the Fighters. For the Fighters' game, the stadium was pretty empty, but for the Giants' game I stood in line for several hours to get a ticket, and after I got in, I couldn't find a seat and had to stand the entire game (both games were on Sunday afternoon). At that time, Hideki Matsui and Kiyohara were the Giants' big hitters. Didn't have any idea then that Matsui, or any other Japanese player, would someday be playing in the U.S. There was some speculation then about Ichiro possibly coming to the U.S. I think the "posting system" had just gone into effect in Japan. But the prevailing thinking seemed to be that he was much too popular for Japan to ever let him leave.

I also had a ticket for the Seibu Dome, but I didn't make it back to Tokyo in time to see the game.

Didn't realize at the time how significant Koshien Stadium was. If I had, I probably would have tried to see a game there, too.

I'll point out also that the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame is located right at the Tokyo Dome.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.