Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

A Japanese Greeting for Fukudome?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
A Japanese Greeting for Fukudome?
I will be sitting behind Fukudome in right field this Saturday at Wrigley Field and I was hoping to give him a nice welcome in Japanese. I know in Japan the fans are not as boisterous as we are in the States, but I was wondering if there is a traditional chant that the Dragons had for him, or something a fan would say to honor a player. Could it be as simple as "Go Fukudome!" or something a bit more exciting?

That said, I don't speak any Japanese, but I am familiar with the proper pronunciation so I should be OK there. Anyone have any suggestions? I would love to cheer for him in Japanese with hopes to honor him and make him feel a bit at home. I also hope nobody tricks me into saying something insulting! (I'm sure I can verify the translation if necessary, not that I think any of you good people would do such a thing. ) THANKS!
Comments
Re: A Japanese Greeting for Fukudome?
[ Author: tonydragon | Posted: Apr 4, 2008 6:11 AM | CD Fan ]

Try "Gambare" - Literally 'good luck' or 'work hard' depending on how it is translated.

Not fully appropriate for when he is in the field, but a shout of "kattobase" would be welcomed - 'hit it hard' or 'slug the ball as hard as you can' are how I would translate it.

And for anything he does well, a call of "iizo (eeezo) Kousuke" - 'Well done/nice play Kousuke' would go down well. Note that us Dragons fans never referred to him as Fukudome in our chants, it was always Kousuke.

Have fun and hope he does well for you. I felt really sorry about how last season worked out for him, it was the only downside to an otherwise perfect season for the Dragons.

Go go Let's go Kou-suke!
[ Author: Guest: bleed_cubbie_blue | Posted: Apr 4, 2008 12:03 PM ]

Thank you so much for the great information. I have noticed on radio broadcasts the Cubs announcers always call him Kousuke, so maybe they are aware of his Dragons history.

I will try those out, thank you again for the great info ... and the great player!
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Apr 4, 2008 11:17 AM | NIP Fan ]

His old player cheer song lyrics are still at the bottom of some Dragons ouenka pages, but since that's for when he's at bat it doesn't make sense to say it when he's in the field. Usually people would be singing that one over and over again and yelling and banging drums and playing instruments while he was at bat.

I'm guessing for something to just shout from the stands, "Ganbare Kousuke" is about as good as you'll get.

(And wow, you think the fans in Japan aren't as boisterous as in the States? Heh, you should come sit in the bleachers in Japan sometime then and see what it's like. There are many words to describe it, but "calm" is not even remotely one of them.)
[ Author: Guest: bleed-cubbie-blue | Posted: Apr 4, 2008 12:08 PM ]

Ha - that is only what I have heard in general statements about the sport. And I do hope to be there some day soon to truly experience it.

The bleachers at Wrigley Field can be crazy, especially since it is general seating; the bleachers are as they were in 1914, just long benches. And sometimes people can get a little nuts after drinking in the sun all day.
[ Author: sangubashi | Posted: Apr 4, 2008 5:12 PM | TYS Fan ]

Ya, I'm going to have to agree. Baseball in America is nothing like Japan, with the exception of maybe Chicago, New York, and Boston. But even those don't compare to all of Japanese teams' outfields standing and chanting for each player the whole time they are batting. I always tell people that watching Japanese baseball is a different monster - it's like European soccer or something. Everyone goes nuts when their team is batting.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 4, 2008 8:14 PM | CLM Fan ]

Don't forget St. Louis. I don't like the Cardinals, but that city loves their team.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 5, 2008 1:26 PM ]

That's because there is nothing to do in St. Louis except watch sports (and drink budweiser).

And can anyone help me on the correct pronunciation of "Gambare" - is that the way it sounds in English? I am not sure how the "bare" is said.
[ Author: lonitary | Posted: Apr 14, 2008 5:48 PM | HIR Fan ]

OK, I'll tell you the correct pronunciation of "gambare"

You are concerned about the pronunciation of "bare" as in "gambare" only, but let me tell you about "gam" part, too. The pronunciation of "gam" as in "gambare" is not like "gam" as in "gamble." It's like chewing "gum." Or the "gu" as in "gun." D you get me?

So let's talk about "bare" part. First of all, think of "ba" and "re" separately. The pronunciation never be like "bear."

"Ba" should be like "bash". "Re" should be like the "re" as in "restaurant," but not like "re" as in "repeat."

So together, I think "bare" is a bit similar to "barre" as in "barren."

I hope you understand all I wrote. If not, ask me again, you're welcome.
[ Author: tonydragon | Posted: Apr 15, 2008 8:06 AM | CD Fan ]

Depends if you are British or American really. The 'gam' in gamble is more similar for me, but with a softer 'm'. Certainly not a 'gyam' sound though.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.