Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yakult's Hot Start

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Yakult's Hot Start
Well, I just wanted to see what anyone thought of Yakult's hot start and the sweep of the Giants, who bought the Swallows' second and third best players away along with Kroon to be their closer. Does anyone think that this is a sign of anything to come for Yakult or the Giants? Or is the rest of the season going to swing the other way?
Comments
Re: Yakult's Hot Start
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 4, 2008 8:16 PM | CLM Fan ]

I don't know if Yakult has the pitching. That new Korean closer they got, Lim, is quickly making a name for himself in Japanese baseball circles. You don't see too many 155 km/h pitchers in Japan with the delivery he has.

As for the Giants, this year's team is reminding me a lot of the team that signed Rhodes and Kokubo. It's just a team full of individuals.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Apr 5, 2008 9:41 AM ]

The Eagles have been hot lately, too. They gained and maintained first plalce in the standings (for the first time in the club's existence).

It's an interesting start to the season in both leagues with the Central League splitting into unexpected top and bottom 3 and the Pacific League in a huge logjam.

Lim looked great in what little action I saw him in on TV. I wonder how long it'll take the opposition to adapt. But the combination of speed, movement, and delivery is so unusual, they may not get a chance to adapt. But the Swallows can't keep on hitting like they are right now, so when the hitting comes down to Earth, their place in the standings will too.
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Apr 5, 2008 10:47 AM ]

Yakult's hot start has been a surprise, as most people probably picked them 5th or 6th this year.

I'm sure the Giants will turn things around, but hopefully they will stay cold. I was surprised they brought in so many high-paid newcomers with the talent they already had. That kind of move often backfires. Let's hope it does again!
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Apr 7, 2008 3:45 PM | YAK Fan ]

I went into this season with low expectations, and boy did the Swallows ever surprise me! It was the first time in 50 years that the Swallows won three straight from Opening Day against the Giants. I was so happy that I had to buy myself a copy of the Sankei Sports paper the next day so I can keep a collector's copy.

I'm still not expecting the Swallows to win the pennant, but I'd love to see them become a scrappy team that fights for that last playoff spot this year!
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Apr 8, 2008 12:44 AM | NIP Fan ]

It's all about Hiroyasu Tanaka.

(I wish it was all about Keizo Kawashima, but alas.)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.