Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Translation Help

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Translation Help
Hello. My name is Michael Eng, and I am working on a Japanese Baseball Database, along with Westbay-san. A large portion of the data that I have collected is in Kanji/Katakana, which I then translate into English/Romaji; this is, of course, a slow process. Currently, I have hit a roadblock in translating; I have too much data and not enough time. I have posted the data here, hoping that the members of this community will come and help. You may modify the data however you see fit, I only request that no columns or rows are deleted. This will allow for an easier data incorporation process. Once you are finished translating, the file may be sent to me at fp505JBD at yahoo.com. Also, to receive appropriate credit for your work, please include your name. Thank you in advance.

Draft
High Schools
H.S. Attended
Universities
Summer Koshien - Batting
Summer Koshien - Pitching
Farm Batting
Farm Pitching
Farm All-Star Game
Batting
Pitching
Most Valuable Players
Stadiums
Stadiums - Yearly
1936 to 1947 Games
Nippon Series Results
Nippon Series MVPs
All-Stars
CL ASG Votes
ASG Batting
ASG Pitching
Monthly Awards
Rookie of the Year Votes
Coaches
Names
World War II
NBL Roster
Assorted
Sebango

[Above files are CSV files in Shift-JIS format. Original files in HTML Workbook format are here (ZIP archive).]

[Struck out too many before. Tables not struck out still need work.]

[Added Sebango.csv on Apr 8, 2005 2:09 PM JST.]
Comments
Re: Translation Help
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 4, 2004 12:14 AM | YBS Fan ]

To coordinate an effort, it would be nice if people posted which files they're translating. Some are much shorter than others. Some have a lot of repitition.

Eng-san, please report back when one is done so that I may cross it off the list.

Those of you interested in data on Japanese baseball, just wait until Eng-san's full database is released. It's quite a sight. And any help you all can give to the effort will be greatly appriciated.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Dec 4, 2004 12:49 AM ]

It might help if you coordinated some of your material with the material on the links from this page: Stats at Baseball Guru.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Tim | Posted: Dec 11, 2004 12:39 AM ]

I will look into the Coaches.

I started it, but there's quite a lot, so it could take some time. (Japanese computer has nifty function to turn Kanji into Romaji.)
[ Author: Guest: Michael Eng | Posted: Dec 12, 2004 8:44 AM ]

A quick update and thanks to Tim for taking on Coaches.

Completed:
Nippon Series MVPs, Most Valuable Players, Rookie of the Year Votes, Batting, Pitching

Near Complete:
Farm Batting, Farm Pitching, Farm All-Star Game

In addition, I have completed the majority of Monthly Awards, All-Stars, and CL ASG Votes after the mid 1980s.
[ Author: Guest: Michael Eng | Posted: Dec 24, 2004 8:38 PM ]

Another update:

Awards, CL ASG Votes, and All-Stars are completed.

Farm Batting and Farm Pitching are mostly done except for 2003-2004 Kanji players.

Apart from the continual translation of data, the rest of the database is coming along well. That being said, I would like to release a preview version in this coming week. This is in the hope that the release will spark some more interest in the database. Westbay-san, would you be willing to host the file? The zipped database (Access and MySQL) is about 5 MB.

Thanks and happy holidays.

Michael Eng
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 24, 2004 9:22 PM | YBS Fan ]

Sounds like the perfect otoshi-dama (new year's gift - usually money, but this is worth more than any monetary value). I'd be honored to host the files.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Dec 25, 2004 5:11 AM ]

Sounds great - I'm looking forward to seeing it. Is there any possibility of eventually including defensive data (games played at a position, assists, putouts, errors)?

Jim Albright
Pre-Release
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 26, 2004 8:23 PM | YBS Fan ]

Eng-san has made a pre-release version of the database available. Please see this thread for details and follow-ups.
[ Author: Guest: Tim | Posted: Dec 29, 2004 7:05 PM ]

Sorry I took so long. I finished up Coaches today. Should I send as an E-mail attachment?

Note on translation: Although there is a column for both last and first names, it appears that the names are surnames only, with occasional first kanji of personal names. Thus the first name column cannot be trusted even if there is an entry. The last names, too, were in some cases one of the possible readings of the Kanji. For example Takazawa/Takasawa, etc.
[ Author: Guest: Michael Eng | Posted: Dec 29, 2004 11:42 PM ]

Tim, an e-mail attachment would be fine.

Patrick Newman has volunteered to do the Nippon Series Results.

The following files are not done:
Draft
High Schools
H.S. Attended
Universities
Summer Koshien - Batting
Summer Koshien - Pitching
Farm Batting (mostly done before 2002)
Farm Pitching (mostly done before 2002)
Farm All-Star Game (MVPs are done except 1984 and 1985)
Stadiums
Stadiums - Yearly
1936 to 1947 Games
World War II
NBL Roster

Names and Assorted are redundant and should be deleted.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 7, 2005 8:36 PM | YBS Fan ]

FarmBatting and FarmPitching have been completed. They can now be found on the Japanese Baseball Database page.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 13, 2005 10:10 PM | YBS Fan ]

Names.csv and Stadiums.csv have been updated.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 8, 2005 2:20 PM | YBS Fan ]

Eng-san has been working on a listing of uniform numbers (sebango), and has translated about 90% of the records, but still has about 1,700 names left. Most of them seem to be one-year players, career ni-gun players, or non-playing personal; so names are difficult. Can anyone lend a hand?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.