Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tokyo Giants' Gary?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Tokyo Giants' Gary?
Hey, I was eating at a Denny's in Escondido, CA, last night with some friends when we struck up a conversation with the guy in the booth next to us. Turns out he used to play for the New York Yankees and later for the Tokyo Giants, though I'm not sure what position he played. I asked him his name so I could go online and find his card, but I can't remember his last name. I think it was Gary Duvall, but I didn't find any past Giants players named Duvall. I'm positive his first name is Gary and, apparently, his wife is part of the Susuki family. The famous one. The one that makes bikes.

Anyone know Gary's last name?

- james
Comments
Re: Tokyo Giants' Gary?
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jan 27, 2005 9:04 PM ]

That's got to be Chuck Cary. If he was tall and blond, then that's Cary for sure. He played with the Yanks and then with the Giants in 1992. He returned to the majors and played with the White Sox in 1993.

Cary was the last Giants' player to wear #55 before Hideki Matsui. Matsui joined the Giants in 1993.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jan 27, 2005 9:19 PM ]

Oops, check that. I said it was probably Chuck Cary, but after doing some thinking I think it might have been Gary Thomasson instead. If his first name is Gary and he played for both the Yankees and the Giants, then it's probably Thomasson.

He played with the Yanks and Dodgers in the late '70s and the Yomiuri Giants in '81 or '82, so I guess he would be in his mid-50s now.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jan 27, 2005 10:03 PM ]

Gary Thomasson. He played for the Giants, Athletics, Yankees, and Dodgers before playing for the Yomiuri Giants.

Year Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SO BB HBP SB GIDP AVG
1981 YG 120 402 39 105 23 0 20 50 132 32 1 5 9 0.261
1982 YG 47 75 5 14 1 1 0 5 19 10 0 0 1 0.187
[MLB Stats - Baseball Reference]
[NPB Stats - Japan Baseball Daily]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.