Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Baseball on North American TV?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Japanese Baseball on North American TV?
I was wondering if they show Japanese baseball in the US?

Also are there team sites in English, any of them doesn't matter to me, although the Seibu Lions are my favorite team.

Also, I don't see the New Seibu jersey on the Pro Yakyu site, guess I will have to go buy one when I go over there this summer.
Comments
Re: Japanese Baseball on North American TV?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 2, 2005 1:42 PM | YBS Fan ]

Searching this site, you will find that the question of TV broadcasts of Japanese games is asked every Spring (Spring Training and start of season), Summer (All Star Game), and Fall (Nippon Series).

The only affirmative answer I've seen in the years this question has been asked has been that NHK International shows games occassionally. Talk to your local cable provider about how to get it, but it's reportedly rather expensive - especially for a game a week.

No team, to my knowledge, has anything in English on their official team sites. I'm waiting another week before going through all of the official sites to see if they've got e-mail addresses and/or English sections. If anyone feels like going through before then, feel free to post what you find. The Hawks did have an English section many years ago (late 1990s), but it wasn't updated after the first year.

Softbank is working to setup broadcasts on the Internet, as is Nippon Ham. Rakuten has a web-cam up watching the rebuilding of their stadium (mentioned on another thread), which I hope they keep going during the season.

As for jersey's, do you mean the YakyuShop? Click the "Contact us" link and ask about it. Owen-san is has been open and accomodating in my experience with him in the past.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 8:09 AM ]

- I was wondering if they show Japanese baseball in the US?

None of the cable TV stations offer Japanese baseball in the continental United States. KIKU-TV in Hawaii showed some Yomiuri games last year. TV Japan (which is a joint venture between the NHK group and the Itochu Group), a satelite TV station, shows some baseball games occassionly. [Japan TV Programming] [Japan TV Corporate]

- Also are there team sites in English[?]

After quickly checking the NPB team websites, nothing on any them is in English, as pointed out. Also, right now it seems like the only team with a e-mail address is the Hiroshima Carp website. The Carp website has e-mail addresses concerning tickets, goods, letters, and an address for opinion and problem reporting. The link to the Hiroshima Carp website is here, the e-mail addresses are at the bottom.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 7, 2005 8:54 AM ]

The Chiba Lotte Marines have a column in English. So far there are columns by manager Bobby Valentine [Link]">, Chiba director of promotions Larry Rocca [Link], and outfielder Benny Agbayani [Link].
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.