Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Research Paper on Japanese Baseball

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Research Paper on Japanese Baseball
Hi,

I found this site just surfing the net. I hope someone can help me. I am currently taking a writing class about post-war Japan. We have to write a 15 page paper and I love sports and have always been interested in learning more about Japanese baseball. I have already told my professor that I am going to do it on baseball in Japan, but he wants me to narrow it down a little bit. Does anyone have any ideas on what in Japanese baseball I should focus on, or what I can get 15 pages out of?

Thanks a lot for any input provided.
Comments
Re: Research Paper on Japanese Baseball
[ Author: Sportkrank21 | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 10:54 AM | YG Fan ]

How about a paper on the American players playing in Japan and their history? Warren Cromartie's book is a good source as are the first two Robert Whiting books.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 5:17 AM ]

I'd second the idea on gaijin. You can add my stuff on the web, the main page being here [Baseball Guru].

Other pages of interest would be my info links, which give you everything I've written about each player. This is my article on the all-time foreign (i.e. not Japanese) born team.

Jim Albright
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 6:48 PM | YBS Fan ]

If you can't read Japanese, then you'll want to focus on an aspect that you can find information in English on. And the person who had the most influence on post-war Japan that you'll find plenty of information in English on is General MacArthur.

I've read that he wanted to get professional baseball going again after The War to raise morale and put Japan on the road to recovery. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read that, or if it was a reliable source. So you could start off the report as an investigation into that rumor, and if it's true, the significance of using baseball to renew ties bewteen two former foes.

It's just a thought.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 12:10 PM ]

The occupation forces were using Koshien Stadium to grow potatoes for a while, and thus the Koshien High School Baseball Tournament was played at Nishinomiya Stadium for a couple of years.

However, it should be noted that the occupation office did play a part in getting Osaka Stadium built.

I'm not sure what kind of condition Meiji Jingu Stadium was in when they reopened it with a pro all star game in 1946. It had been utilized as an anti-aircraft installation during the war by the Japanese military and had the bejesus bombed out of it as a result.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.